Vortex is looking different!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sowwy Docc. :(

Last edited:
ok, back to topic. Are you all saying that the "cement pond" thing to the left of where divers go into the spring was supposed to be something to dive and now they are fixing it? As many times as i have dove there, I really had no idea what that body of water was supposed to be. never saw anyone over there or in it or even had a desire to get in it. always looks fairly dirty to me.

Since i started diving, this is the first year i didn't buy a season pass as I have grown tired of the same stuff and actually had started naming the fish! So with all these changes i might just have to figure out a time soon to go check it out.

The concrete pond was supposed to be a training area. They were going to put some "caves" in there for training. However, they hit the aquifer before they were done with it and it flooded. So it sat there for years as it was. They are now moving water through it and the visibility is clearing up. Plans are to use it as a training area. I was told the "caverns" and helicopter body were going to be placed in there, but apparently that's not the case. Too bad.

I don't care for the shallow new placement of the pseudo-cave! My computer thinks I'm in my safety stop!

Last edited:
I've been to Vortex twice but, never dove it. I might try it when/if I do Morrison Springs next week. Anyone else going to be there? At either location?

The frog pond was an abortive attempt to expand Vortex dive capabilities. The Corps of Engineers supposedly told Doc not to do it but he did anyway. There is no input and output flow of water so the vis remains poor. Connie asked me to go in there once to recover a hose. The bottom was a coarse gravel and the vis was wierd. Sort of a surrelistic coming and going of sunlight. But at least they are trying to do something with it.

As for the natural state of the main bowl. That was all dug out in the 80s to make the dive area bigger. I do like the fact that the artificial caves are being moved and would like to see them gone. However, moving the structures exposed large areas of silty mud that has not yet been covered with gravel. Eddie is working on it but can only do so much. Last weekend there was little to no flow from the aquifer and the spring was not clear even in the early hours.

I do like and appreciate the work that Mr Kelly is doing and hope he keeps it up. Now to require that all the four-wheelers that tear through the campground just after dark have mufflers. I hope Mr Kelly sees this. I can't recommend that my students stay in a place that has noisy four-wheelers tearing through with no mufflers. All rooms in Otter Creek, all rooms in Grandview, and I would think most all rooms in Pinewood and several of the campsites were all Adventure Sports students last weekend. Lowell - the four wheelers are a nuisance........

Improvements on the Otter Creek and Pinewood lodges are fabulous. The rooms are freshly painted and tile floored.

The snack bar is exquisite!! I ordered a barbecue sandwich and my companion ordered a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. The cost was $6 each and there was far more food that I could eat at one sitting. If they keep that up they will go far. The snack bar is primo!!

Did I mention that the four-wheelers are a nuisance???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom