Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This one I have not tried, place an ultrathin maxi pad in your camera housing to soak up any moisture(?)

Yes works well or tampons. Had a (male) dive buddy who used these. Worked better than those little crunchy packs that most people use judging by a trip we did to Fiji where he had no fogging unlike the others :)

Great tips all, thanks. I'm gonna have to try the 1lb weight in my trunks!

Further to the bit about live aboards, what do the socks under booties save me from? I'm booked on my first live aboard next November.
  • Nylon socks under your booties will save your feet on a live-a- board.
  • On a drift dive, always pull the dive flag because the person with the dive flag is never lost.
  • If you carry a sausage, go ahead and carry a spool as well. If you get seperated from the dive flag that I told you to pull, it makes a nice makeshift dive flag.
  • Carry at least two cutting devices: one high and one low on the other side.
  • You can improve your air consumption almost immediately if you learn to fold your hands together rather than waving them around. You'll have to dial in your neutral buoyancy and trim to be really successful but people will think you are an awesome diver when you get this down.
  • Going slow will also improve your air consumption as well as allow you to see what everyone else is missing.

here's an other one I learned by experience. If you are worried about shredding your wetsuit dive boots or drysuit soft boots, on a shore dive where there are too many oyster banks, barnacles or mussels, wear a pair of rubber rainboots instead. Just make sure they are quite flexible and a good fit so they don't pop-off easily. Cost $20 at Walmart, and saves major bucks on repairs. Looks silly, works perfect.

other tip: if your drysuit boots are too loose a fit (a problem i used to have with Viking boots, where I nneded to wear straps around my ankles or ankle weights to stop boots from popping-off), get a pair of neoprene dive socks to wear inside your boots. Plenty warm and doesn't compress or slide around as much as woollen socks or undersuit booties.

here's an other one I learned by experience. If you are worried about shredding your wetsuit dive boots or drysuit soft boots, on a shore dive where there are too many oyster banks, barnacles or mussels, wear a pair of rubber rainboots instead. Just make sure they are quite flexible and a good fit so they don't pop-off easily. Cost $20 at Walmart, and saves major bucks on repairs. Looks silly, works perfect.

I dive with Vans (laced) or Chuck Taylors. :)

Just worked my way through all 35 pages of neat tricks. Learned a bunch here and just wanted to say thanks to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom