Lake Jocassee update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We will be on the boat going to the Junk/ Wall.

It wasn't me. I know who it was though. I'm not telling.

Just about all of the lines run down there were for that purpose: to confuse people so they wouldn't go down there. Some of my friends are extremely familiar down there and plan on redoing some of them for safety. Mostly, there are too many local divers that dive beyond their level of training and venture down there. I think we will probably leave out line leading from the ramp to the trees but do a better job of marking the trees themselves.

I enjoy diving the trees every time I dive the ramp. My thoughts on the lines are they are helpful to put in the shallow areas of interest (platforms, ski boat, bones family) so that the newer divers can find points of interest, but I think you are asking for trouble when you put them to deep locations. Inexperienced divers who are not ready for the jump to deep diving may follow them and end up with problems. My thought is that if you are not proficient withdeep diving and a compass, you have no business in the trees. If you are proficient with a compass, lines become only entanglement hazards and detract from the experience.

Folks have put lines in our local lake (Clarks Hill/ aka Lake Thurmond) and some of them run fairly deep. An instructor friend of mine put some of the lines in so that he can find stuff. I tease him about being navigationally challenged. While he was putting in a line a couple of years ago, I connected a couple of reels together and ran a line from the water's edge to his truck in the parking lot. He didn't seem to appreciate the humor in this:D:D:D

My thoughts on the lines are they are helpful to put in the shallow areas of interest (platforms, ski boat, bones family) so that the newer divers can find points of interest, but I think you are asking for trouble when you put them to deep locations. Inexperienced divers who are not ready for the jump to deep diving may follow them and end up with problems.

I have always hated this argument. I seldom dive the ramp as I enjoy the boat/wall much more. While my compass get me to the trees and back to shore, it often does not help me find the very limited things to see shallower. I would much rather do deco or finish my tank around something to look at instead of lots of mud.

At the wall there is a clearly marked line from the junk to a barrel that has a shear drop down to 170ish ft. There are no cert police and I have yet to see anyone other than students on a guided dive their or at the ramp. Stupid is as stupid does. Something as simple as a lack of a line or simpler lines is not what is going to stop or encourage someone who wants to do a deep dive from doing a deep dive regardless of cert level. I think it is a weak argument against such things. By the same rational, all computers should cease to function once you surpass you cert rating. They could develop a pin system to prevent rec divers from entering deco.

I do appreciate the fact that if a ton of people die in that lake they will no long let us go under it. But if a ton of people have not already died, i do not see new/simpler lines causing it to happen.

I am not trying to sound like a total ass but I am sure it comes off that way. I just hate how people feel the need to place disclaimers on everything to try to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things.

I love the line to the truck. That is funny:rofl3:

JImmy

I have always hated this argument. I seldom dive the ramp as I enjoy the boat/wall much more. While my compass get me to the trees and back to shore, it often does not help me find the very limited things to see shallower. I would much rather do deco or finish my tank around something to look at instead of lots of mud. JImmy

In my post you will find that I am not opposed to lines in shallow locations as your describe

Stupid is as stupid does. Something as simple as a lack of a line or simpler lines is not what is going to stop or encourage someone who wants to do a deep dive from doing a deep dive regardless of cert level. I think it is a weak argument against such things. JImmy

I would prefer not to have someone demostrate Darwin's principles on a line I laid. Why add unnecessary risk? A line from shallow areas to deep could be seen as an "attractive nuisance"

To me following the same lines again and again does not add to skill development. It is just doing the same thing over and over. I find that a bit sad....it takes away the "Ah Ha" moments. Being able to take journeys- different journeys each time - through the trees and finding one's way back to interesting stuff in the shallows using a compass and natural navigation is much more rewarding to me. I have learned much more about the ramp diving area by NOT following lines.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Two dives off of Bill's boat this afternoon. Weather was pleasant and around 73F outside.
Got to dive with [user]GISdiver[/user] and [user]Floatingtheflats[/user].
48F water temps abound. Viz about 25-30' at the junk.
~40' viz at 170'.
Diving with dry gloves was great. My wife picked a great birthday gift.

Folks have put lines in our local lake (Clarks Hill/ aka Lake Thurmond) and some of them run fairly deep. An instructor friend of mine put some of the lines in so that he can find stuff. I tease him about being navigationally challenged. While he was putting in a line a couple of years ago, I connected a couple of reels together and ran a line from the water's edge to his truck in the parking lot. He didn't seem to appreciate the humor in this:D:D:D

I remember that, it was fantastic! How have you been? Would like to join you sometime soon, maybe a mid week dive you are up for one. Give me a call. PM sent to you.

Hay, Dave longtime no see last time I seen you it was on the big O. I think I ended up with your fins and you with mine. :idk: Where you been hiding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom