Where in Phillipines to see LOTS of fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyfromToronto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just returned from a week in Roatan, Honduras. Coral & sponges were great but the lack of fish was very disappointing.

We are visiting family in Hong Kong in January 2012 and will take off for 5-7 days to dive in the Phillipines. Where is the best place to go see lots of fish? Instructor at Fantasy Island in Roatan said to go to Malapascua to see thresher sharks and manta rays but we're not really into sharks. Rays would be nice but for this first trip we'd like to see lots of fish. Schools of them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

You may see school of jackfish, barracuda and many turtles in Bohol's Balicasag dive site.

You may see my Bohol dive photos here:
Just back from Bohol Beach Club -

Bohol Beach Club has nice resort but its dive shop is not good. Besides, its location is too isolated.
I recommend to stay in alona beach and use dive shop there. I recommend to use Sea Explorer dive shop on alona beach.

Bohol and balicasag are great dives too! Been there 8 times. But nothing beats moalboal for shear number of fish.
For bohol id recommend sierra madre divers and look for choi. Best rates, large boat, new rental equip.
For moal id recommend nelsons dive shop and eves kiosk, look for neslon.
Thay both have websites just google them, and tell em both your bobs friend :)

Betty, I think you'll be happy with pretty much any of the destinations in the Philippines as far as fish are concerned... Compared to the Caribean, the Pacific reefs have fish in Plenty, varied, Colorfull, and Weird! I'm confident in saying any of the destinations will blow your previous Caribean destinations away...

This said, the place I went where I saw the most fish was Verde Island (which is a 1 hour boat trip from PG). There were so many Anthias it was dizying and I was sure one of them was going to get caught in my 2nd stage... :rofl3: I've never seen so many fish, and really can't Imagine more except inside a school of pelagic fish (such as Sardines, baracuda, etc., but these were not schooling species I'm talking about).

My advice to you, if I may, would be to pick a destination that is easy to get to, to reduce travelling time (you only have 5-7 days). A good example of this would be Anilao (2-3 hours from manila) or PG (2-3 hours + 1hour ferry), but there are other destinations down in the Visayas that are also quite easy to get to (if you are flying into Cebu). Then stick to it and do as many of the best dive sites there... Then when you get back, start immediately saving for your next trip to the Philippines...:cool2:

Just my 0.02$ :coffee:

The most fish I've seen in one place is off a little island called Nogas, off the southwest tip of Panay. You can get there by flying to Iloilo City. The locals created a little marine reserve there about 10 years ago. I was diving there in 08 and 09 and was amazed.
A buddy of mine has a small resort there now called the DiveHouse. You can find it on Facebook. They have a website too but I don't think it's up to date.
The only other place where I've seen that much fish at one time is here in Belize at the Elbow of Turneffe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom