which Dry suit

which one of these dry suits ? would you recomend

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

now thinking more if I HAD to dive a retention pond or something similarly nasty I would want a /vulcanized rubber suit with a hard hat and surface ir before i would even think about going in.

that is not exactly true, other types just take a little more work. but if you tear or puncture your vulcanized drysuit you will get all sorts of contaminnts on you..... how are you deconing your FFM, and BCD? you are looking ar a ton of cross contamination there.

DUI's web site has a good article on it, and they put on a great contaminated water class too..

for me if you have swift water or around sharp objects (broken glas or twisted metal) I'd be more willing to take toughness to avoid punctures and tearing over easier decon.. thats just me your mileage may vary
If you puncture any sort of suit you will get contaminants on you. If your suit repair from a previous leak is not perfect, you will get contaminants on you. Heavy vulcanized material like a Viking HD is not much more likely to be punctured and is much easier to perfectly repair.

We never use FFMs, we use a helmet that mates up with the suit (which I think is only available for a vulcanized suit), SSA and no BCD.

DUI's article is hardly an effective answer to the 1985 EPA/NOAA study, in fact it is so bad you can hear the whine. You can dive whatever you want, when my health is at risk I look for more that advertising bumph, which is what I perceive the DUI article to be.

we have a swift water suits totally different , yes we use the DF200 to decontaminate our suit masks and all out scuba equipment , talk to DUI today quote yes the crushed neoprene may be tough but there TLS Public Safety Dry Suits is in the ZIPPER...the Public Safety Dry Suits Zipper is designed for
Decontaminate removal. The CF200 is a standard Dry Suit Zipper.
This zipper is installed only on their recommended Public safety suits and the CF200 isn't one.
yes it’s a strong suit however fuel will break down the crushed neoprene not saying it’s not a good suit just not what we are looking for , you think the TLS350 not a tough suit .
I dive wrecks, caves and many other areas never had a Problem yes it can happen in any suit.

DUI Public Safety TLS350.... for the past four/five years... The material holds up better on the cheese-grater like concrete canal banks we slide down. Decon hasn't been an issue.... yet.

Hello!

Thank you everyone for your great input! Below is a compilation of the suits DUI has to offer in regards to Public Safety. Each description includes the application most appropriately used for the material.

Our newest suit for Public Safety divers is the CXO drysuit. The CXO is made of polyurethane. This suit will be released in 3 levels based on the type of contaminated water the diver is entering. The first level is undergoing a thorough field and chemical testing. We are expecting to release the first level of the CXO in Spring!The initial field tests have been very positive! The great thing about this suit is it should offer the same protection to the divers as the rubber suits (our final lab test will confirm this), but in a much more lightweight, durable, easy to decon package!! Additionally, the CXO suit will be more sizing friendly...it will be available in all standard sizes (M-2XL) and special production. The CXO looks like it will be the new answer to so many predicaments PS divers come up against when it comes to exposure protection for diving in harsh conditions.
A very popular suit with Public Safety teams is the TLS350 Public Safety drysuit. The TLS350 PS is a trilaminate material made of nylon/butyl rubber/nylon. The waterproof layer is the butyl rubber which is sandwiched between the nylon layers. This gives the suit an added protection against abrasions. This differs from the rubber suits in that the waterproof layer on the rubber suits is on the outside of the suit. Therefore, any slight abrasions could compromise the integrity of the suit. The TLS350 PS is very lightweight, extremely easy to decontaminate, and comes with reflective tape and reinforcement over the knees and butt!
The rubber suit is the RS1050 and the RS1500. Although the rubber suit works pretty well against chemical permeation and is easy to decontaminate, it certainly has some limitations. The suit does not have very many size options (1-4) so fit could be a predicament. Additionally, the suit is very heavy and bulky. If the suit does not fit properly, the increase in drag could add additional risks.
The CF200 is a very durable suit that some teams decide to go with. This suit is made from crushed neoprene. The only downside to this suit for Public Safety diving is that it is difficult to decontaminate. However, if your team conducts swift water rescue more so than being in contaminated water, this suit is a great one.

ZipSeals allow the team to have versatility with switching between wrist seals and dry gloves and with the latex hood and a standard neck seal. More importantly, if the team shares suits, each member can have their own set of seals to install in the suit. This will decrease the likelihood of leaks through seals that are too big that do not fit or cutting off circulation by wearing seals that are too tight. I'm sure you know, 2 people fitting in the same size suit, may not fit into the same seals.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks again!
Jessica
DUI

nope I don't think the tls is not a tough suit.... I think that is a very tough suit.

CXO sounds like a winner. Superlight mating neck available I assume?

Back
Top Bottom