Mark Tulin passed away during the Avalon Cleanup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
It is with deep sadness and a very heavy heart that I inform you of the death of Mark Tulin.
He collapsed today while helping out at the Avalon Underwater Clean-Up and had immediate response by Baywatch Avalon and Avalon Fire Department medics, but he could not be revived.
Mark was one-of-a-kind.
His energy, generosity, and spirit was unmatched.

https://www.facebook.com/CatHyperChamber/posts/10150107597029171

http://grungereport.net/?p=3097
tulincorgan.jpg

According to Wikipedia: “On February 26, 2011 Tulin collapsed while helping out at the Avalon Underwater Clean-Up in Avalon, California. Baywatch Avalon and Avalon Fire Department medics responded immediately, but he could not be revived and was pronounced dead.”

Tulin was best known for his work with The Electric Prunes in the 60′s. Tulin played with Billy Corgan and Dave Navarro in the short lived supergroup Spirits in the Sky in 2009, and later became the temporary bassist of the Smashing Pumpkins in 2010 while the Pumpkins searched for a replacement for Ginger Pooley.

Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan said the following on his Twitter page regarding Tulin’s passing:

Just got some horrible news, my brother and good friend, Mark Tulin of the Electric Prunes passed away today. I am really sad!

“We just had lunch with Mark 2 days ago in Los Angeles + we were discussing recording a new song for the Prunes he will be missed by many!”

Smashing Pumpkins producer Kerry Brown also commented:

“I can’t fix this one. RIP Mark Tulin a great bass player, friend and band mate. We were getting ready to record the Prunes new song this week. I’m in shock.”

GrungeReport.net sends it condolences to the Tulin family and his loved ones during this difficult time.

Last edited:
How very sad.

RIP Mark

What Phil neglected to mention about Mark is just how much he gave of himself to the Southern California dive community. Mark was one of the most generous and caring souls around. He gave of himself in so many ways, ways that touched many of you, whether you knew it or not.

Mark has been a volunteer and Supervisor at the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber for decades. Have any of you been treated there? Had a friend treated there? Did he touch your life in this way?

Mark was present at almost every Chamber Day program run at the Chamber. How many of you have visited the Chamber, taken a tour? Mark was probably there. Did he touch your life in this way?

He volunteered at the Avalon Harbor Cleanups. And the Two Harbors Cleanups. How many of you have been out to dive in either of those events? Did he touch your life in this way?

Mark was one of the original volunteer divers at the Aquarium of The Pacific. He helped Pete Pehl, their first Diving Safety Officer, write their diving manual, and set up the volunteer diving program. How many of you have dove at the aquarium? Visited the aquarium, and interacted with the divers during their feedings or programs? Did he touch your life in this way?

Mark has been on the Diving Control Board of the Aquarium. He has helped with other scientific diving programs around the Southland. Did he touch your life in this way?

Mark has lectured at many local dive clubs. He has taught or helped teach numerous Chamber Operators courses, assisted at EDAMs, helped with special programs. Did he touch your life in this way?

Mark was on the Steering Committee for Chamber Night, held annually at the Aquarium of the Pacific. How many of you have been to that program, enjoyed these special evenings? Mark was there. Did he touch your life in this way?

Mark was a caring and engaged diving instructor. Were you one of his students? Did he touch your life in this way?

Perhaps the most significant way he gave to the community was in the time he spent doing nothing, waiting for one of us to make a mistake. Mark was one of the most active and reliable volunteers the Chamber has had. Mark spent not hundreds of hours, but hundreds of days, giving freely of his time just to be ready to help any of you who might have needed it. For decades he has done this. Days, weeks,... months and months in total, away from his daughter, family, work,... just to be ready to serve, if and when you needed him. Did he touch your life in this way?

You may not have personally known Mark. He was a caring, giving, engaged member of our community. In many ways, he was a giant of a man. You may not have known him personally,... but he was your friend.

I will miss him. Very much. And so will you.

Thank you, Mark... and be at peace...

Yes Jeff, I met mark at a hyperbarics conference and chamber day at twin harbors. He was very into what was going on there. Pete pehl is living on my Island, working at whidbey Island dive center. Met Morgan wells also, I do have a memory of a great time with mark.

There will be people like Dr Edmond kay, and other hyperbaric dr's and nurses that will be saden also. He went over the procedures that he and pete wrote.

Dr Bill was probably pretty close to him I bet.

RIP mark and keep lookin over the divers, like always.

Happy Diving

Thanks for your service to the community, Mark. RIP.

We too are saddened by his death.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom