Philippines trip-Boracay to Coron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I recently returned from a month in the Philippines. I was on the liveaboard SY Siren and our itinerary was the Boracay/Apo Reef/ Coron and then the Coron/Apo Reef/Boracay trips.

W-IMG_8374.jpg

I have to say that the Siren is the most comfortable, best crewed liveaboard I have ever been on. She is gorgeous polished hardwood with huge cabins. Each cabin had its own computer for photo imaging work and a large insuite bathroom. The meals were amazing and your every need was catered to. The dive deck was well planned with plenty of room for camera gear.

All of the diving was done was done from inflatable RHIB’s. While I was worried that it would be a hassle, the crew made it very easy.

W-IMG_8310.jpg

Now, to the diving.
I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the diving. I understand the area was really impacted by recent El Nino’s, and nowhere was this more apparent than Apo Reef.

Boracay- We did not do a lot of diving here, as we were in a hurry to get to Apo. The one dive I really like was the Camia wreck. There was plenty to see there.

The weather was tough with high winds. Our crossing to Apo was met with 15 foot waves which had the Siren rolling so much that night, that we had to jam lifejackets under the side of our beds to keep from rolling out of bed. The morning found us at Apo.

W-IMG_9144.jpg

While Apo is a marine park, and there is no dynamite fishing there, there was plenty of dead coral from the recent El Nino events.

w-improvedIMG_9365.jpg

There were fewer of the famous huge schools of pelagic fish left.

w-improvedIMG_7619.jpg

I suspect that the loss of habitat has impacted the reefs ability to support these large schools, and they have moved on. However, the macro life was VERY good. Lots of nudis, reef fish, snakes and oddities.

w-improvedIMG_8308.jpg

One worrisome development was seeing anemones in the process of bleaching. Hopefully, they are recovering and not in the downward spiral.

W-IMG_9175.jpg

One interesting daily occurrence was that the banded sea kraits liked crawling through the scupper holes in the dingys to sleep in them during the night. Every morning the dingy drivers had to evict them.

W-IMG_8280.jpg

I won’t tell you about the one they missed!

w-improvedIMG_8066.jpg

After Apo Reef, we motored to Caron Bay, where a famous 10 minute aerial bombardment took place resulting in the sinking of many Japanese ships during WWII. While the visibility in the bay was fairly poor (between 20-50 feet) there were wonderful things to see. The vis made for macro only and it was impossible to get good wide angles of the wrecks. Each wreck hosted wonderful reefs on their decks.

w-improvedIMG_8229.jpg

w-improvedIMG_8139.jpg

If you get to Coron Bay, do not miss Barracuda Lake! Where else can one dive in an active volcanic vent? Leave any wetsuit behind. The first 30 feet are a comfortable 88 degreess. Then you hit the thermocline. The temp instantly jumps to 99 degrees. There is some interesting indigenous life there from eel tailed catfish, dragonettes and cardinalfish to a shrimp that will happily offer manicures.

w-improvedIMG_8547.jpg

The prettiest reef was the heavily touristed snorkeling reef called 7 islands. This area also sported the richest mandarin fish area I have ever seen.

w-improvedIMG_8747.jpg

We also did a fair number of exploratory diving. We found a real gem off Panagatan Island. There we found innumerable goodies from all ages of blue ribbon eels to scads of mantis shrimp.

w-improvedIMG_9546.jpg

w-improvedIMG_9526.jpg

The night diving on this trip was wonderful. I didn’t miss one opportunity for a night dive.

w-improvedIMG_8777.jpg

w-improvedIMG_8052.jpg

w-improvedIMG_7931.jpg

All in all, this was a great trip on a wonderful boat. The crew could not have done anything better. While I doubt I would repeat this itinerary, I would definitely join this operation on one of their other trips, especially their itinerary in the Southern Visayas. The dive guides all hinted that this should not be missed. I guess this time of year it is difficult to get to some of the top Philippine sites.
I will end with a few other Photos;

W-IMG_9265.jpg

w-improvedIMG_9390.jpg

w-improvedIMG_8020.jpg

w-improvedIMG_8145.jpg

w-improvedIMG_8634.jpg

w-improvedIMG_9566.jpg

The end!!

W-IMG_8292.jpg

thanks for sharing. Coron is an awesome place to dive. Great pic of the freshwater shrimp!!!

Nice Photos Allison and thanks for the report! For what you claim as average diving you must be happy with the subjects found. I take it you have a macro setup on your dslr? Which one are you using?

I just came back from Malapascua and Moalboal trip its a photographers paradise!

Great shots, thanks for the write up.

Nice Photos Allison and thanks for the report! For what you claim as average diving you must be happy with the subjects found. I take it you have a macro setup on your dslr? Which one are you using?

I just came back from Malapascua and Moalboal trip its a photographers paradise!

Thanks for the compliment.

I am using a Canon Rebel XTi
Ikelite housing
1 DS 125
1 DS 160
Canon 60 mm
Tokina 10-17 for the few wide angle I took (Only one dive!!)
Hartenberger nano focus light
ULCS arms

hey alison,

love the trip report and review... im glad we did well...
are you coming back to the philippines? hope to see you then and dive with you again. we'll go for 120mins this time.

say hi to dale linda lori and judy for me.

hope to see you soon,

marco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom