What does your Tropical travel gear weigh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
How much does your warm water gear weigh for warm water travel. I refer to everything you take with you for diving warm tropical water.

I was just done packing for a weekend dive. I live in the Philippines so warm water gear in my bag consisted of:

1 SP Jacket BC w/ Air2
1 Frameless Mask and 1 spare Mask
1 SP MK10 / G250 regulator / SPG / ORCA skinny dipper Dive Computer
1 Pair Mares Avanti full foot fins
1 surface marker
1 mesh bag

Have not dived with a wet suit in years. Weight belt I rent at destination.

I happened to have a luggage scale out so I weighed the whole kit.

Weighed in at 16.5 pounds.

Exactly 50 lbs. Take out the batteries for the flashlight and the fact that gear is wet is balanced out.

Gear bag
Booties
strap on fins
regs
din-yoke adapter
full 5mm suit
zeagle ranger bc
mask and back up mask
Dive lights
batteries
save a dive kit
back up computer

Just under 50 lbs
Camera and computer goes as carry on

2 bags, each ~65 lbs

Everything, including Mini-Cuda, 3 mil wetsuit, BP/W, fins, clothes...everything for 2 weeks. Lead & tanks at destination, of course.

Except for mask, computer, & reg as carry-on.

All the best, James

That's a pretty minimal kit - but I bet your BC is half of it.

No lights, cameras, spare parts, knife/shears, signallers, exposure wear, booties, fish books, GPS, batteries, chargers, VOM, VHF, EPIRB, pole spear?

When I go to Hawaii for two weeks, my check-ons are about 85 lbs, my carry-ons another 50. Roughly 80% of that is dive related, if you count the bags as part of the dive kit.

If I did nothing but boat dives, or knew someone there with spare gear, I could get by with that small kit, and a few additional essentials.

The plane, full fuel, gear and persons = 3112 lbs.

Last edited:
Ozzi-You're my kind of diver. My luggage weighs in at about 25 lbs. and I'm always looking for ways to lighten it. I've started diving with backplate only (no wing/BC, weightbelt, or even wetsuit), but have yet to travel with the reduced setup.

How much does your warm water gear weigh for warm water travel. I refer to everything you take with you for diving warm tropical water.

I was just done packing for a weekend dive. I live in the Philippines so warm water gear in my bag consisted of:

1 SP Jacket BC w/ Air2
1 Frameless Mask and 1 spare Mask
1 SP MK10 / G250 regulator / SPG / ORCA skinny dipper Dive Computer
1 Pair Mares Avanti full foot fins
1 surface marker
1 mesh bag

Have not dived with a wet suit in years. Weight belt I rent at destination.

I happened to have a luggage scale out so I weighed the whole kit.

Weighed in at 16.5 pounds.

My warm water outfit, non vintage:

1 Oxy Mach V 18 pound wing
1 Oxy Ultra Light Plate w/ integrated weight pockets
1 Atomic Frameless mask
1 set of AL Titan LX regs with B&G spg or Phoenix Royal Aqua Master double hose regulator
1 set of Mares Avanti open heal fins and light boots
1 Aeris Atomos Nitrox computer
1 surface marker/sausage and finger spool
1 small Intova light, very small, and Dive Rite LED 500
1 set of neoprene shorts and top, 1/8 inch neoprene or rash guard top and swim suit

Vintage:

Round mask
AL Mistral or Voit 50 Fathom
Navy cotton harness
Voit Duckfeet fins
Big, sharp, Sea Hawk knife
Sportsways SeaVue spg on banjo fitting or nothing
Sausage and spool

And of course one FIX Canon S90 camera and housing with dual Inon D2000 strobes and appropriate lenses.

I can get mine and my wife's gear in one bag and not go over limit. I usually check dive gear, carry cameras and a lap top though sometimes I might carry my double hose regulator on if I am afraid it might be stolen.

N

20kgs. SS/BPW. Jet fins. Mask. Wetsuit. Rashguard. Hood. Gloves. Booties. Reg. SMB. Spool. Light. Computer. Stainless pointer. First Aid box. Toiletries.

Camera & housing, handcarried.

I do realize I don't have any spares or redundancy. I always do have two dive computers - one wrist and one console mounted.

Save-a-dive kit - Somebody else always has one.

The kit I mentioned above does include a little UK 4AA flash light for peeking into holes and an old TEKNA knife.

I did not include the cameras and photo gear as that is optional.

Was looking at the kit as the "bare necessities" everything else is optional.

Years ago, I did end up renting a 3mm wet suit in Cabo San Lucas when I was caught by surprise with the colder than expected water.

I have found I can pretty much can find everything I might need at the destination unless one's gear/configuration is ''unique". In which case you will just have to bring spares or adapters to suit your specific gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom