Diving in UK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boz

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Tigers,
need some info regarding the recreational diving in UK, ie where, what it's like, what's to see, diver's social activities etc...
I'm in sunny Oz (that's Australia, not Austria) at the moment and am about to get transfered over to the Royal Engineers, where I will continue to do work diving.
For all those who have dived both down under and in the land of warm beer, can you please provide some advice... I've already packed my drysuits and shed a quiet tear over my collection of wetsuits, but that's life...

Cheers

Boz

I hope you're into wrecks?! That is IMHO the best bit about diving int he UK - makes up for the poor viz and low water temperatures.

Just about anywhere you go (as you don't say where in UK) you should find an active dive club. I'm sure if you drop some hints about location you might get some offers. The only RE places I know are Maidstone and Plymouth and they are not a million miles from the sea.

Enjoy the last of you shark diving

Jonathan

From Sunny Oz to Gloomy UK is sure going to be a cultural shock for you. Good Luck in the cold.

Salty

The visibility in the UK is about 30m and the Minimum temperature is 605 degrees F

........unfortunately that's on the surface only.

Make sure you have a good Dry-bag Boz

Aquamore

The diving isn't so easy, as the waters cold as ice,
the vis at best is bleary, you may lose your buddy in a trice.

There's no Noah's ark to nip you, though the lions mane can sting,
And our Wales are full of valleys, and the boyo's there can sing.

Try this link for Scotland's clubs
http://www.scotsac.com/branches.html

:D

Read up on Scapa Flow. Orkneys, Scotland. The W.W.I. german fleet. Block ships. More wrecks than you can count. I'm doing my best to get there this year. Just heard too many good reports.

Originally posted by SaltyWhale
From Sunny Oz to Gloomy UK is sure going to be a cultural shock for you. Good Luck in the cold.

We've got (IMO) some of the best cold water diving in the world. As mentioned before, we have an entire coastline littered with diveable wrecks, we have cold water reefs, deep dives, shallow dives. Hell, we occasionally get some sunshine too!!

Welcome to the UK Boz - I've sent you a PM giving further details!

we occasionally get some sunshine too!!

Ok ok........it's not that bad......I am sure Boz will have fun diving in the UK. However, I couldn't bring myself to do it when I was there.

Hi Salty my old buddy

Let me know when you are in Europe again and I will take you to a few cool (to say the least) sites in the South of England and the West of Scotland that you will enjoy

Aquamore

Aloha Aqua

Thanks for the offer, will surely take it in to plans when I come over next.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom