Questions about diving the Edisto river

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does look good Lee. Unfortunately the whole river looks like it should full of fossils. I've never been near the areas you have marked so I can't comment on them.:idk:

Hello again Mike and BumbleBee,

I know you are right Mike, about the larger fossils being found closer to the ocean. I found a reference that noted that the videos from above are below Givhans State Park. As soon as the warm weather gets here I will make arrangements to dive the places in the photos above.

I also have spots in the Wando I want to go back to this season. I found a really good gravely bottom in this Wando last season. I have heard good fossil things about the site and I have the feeling it is not dove much.

This may be the year I finally dive the fossil beds offshore Wilmington. I suppose I have been putting Wilmington off because I am seeing much better teeth come out of the Ace Basin.

A long time Cooper River dive pal of mine is anxious to get back in the river this season. He knows the Cooper like no other I have seen. He said he wants to hit some new spots. That is a good sign.

So. Long story short. I will likely be ramping up my fossil diving this season.

Have a killer land site dig planned. Hoping to pull a Saber Toothed Tiger skull. Will be digging into Ice Age materials. :D Extremely happy to have this on the schedule!

Check it out. Made me some frag jar photos last night.

Click-able thumbnails

Last edited:
Nice jars Lee:D

I'm gonna try to hit the low country rivers more this year. Last year we spent most our time in the Edisto river and tried the Combahee without much luck. Might see you out there this year

Hello Mike,

I am hoping to dive the Wando, Cooper, Edisto, and Ace Basin this season. With some luck I will get in all four. My partner likes blue water so will have to see how it goes.

I went on a land based fossil hunt today. Did not find much. One small Angustiden, some small fossilized shells, and fossilized sand dollar pieces. My girlfriend found some really nice teeth and a whole fossilized sand dollar. I was impressed.

Headed over to the Fossil show tomorrow at Cypress Gardens.

Made some new fossil hunter acquaintances today at the land site. One of the guys, John, gave my girlfriend an absolute KILLER Angustiden. Another of the guys, Greg, gave me this nice blonde Megalodon. It was an extremely nice act and I was shocked. The cool thing about Greg is that he is an Ace Basin diver.

Maybe we can hook up on the water, that would be cool

Click-able Thumbnails

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom