Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several out there. They have done little to significant impact the training market space.

NAUI is non-profit and one of the largest in the states, not to mention worldwide?? How is that little impact to the training market space???

Naw, I'd disagree just a bit here. Sure, there are the "naturals" who can just do it. Ask them why, and they won't be able to tell you. They just know. I'm a master chef - by European standards - doesn't make me necessarily a good cook (even though I am), just means that I have "mastered" the required skills as defined by our trade. I had to prove it to a panel of other masters in several exams and tests. I'm good enough to teach an apprentice, and that's what being a master is all about. The old saying goes "You don't know a subject until you can teach it to another". Just being good at what you do does not make you a master, and being recognized as a master doesn't necessarily mean you are any good at your trade. You just have proven that you have the knowledge to be good. the rest is up to you. if you choose not to apply it, that's between you and your sense of professional conduct. As far as the "Master Scuba Diver" goes, it's a joke and we all know it. I quit PADI back when they started to allow children to be certified as open water divers. too many heart-wrenching incidents, thank you very much. Yes, it's all about selling more gear, and more courses. Too bad I saw some kids turned off diving for good, probably...

NAUI is non-profit and one of the largest in the states, not to mention worldwide?? How is that little impact to the training market space???

Not quite sure where you got these 'facts' from.
confused.gif

I've never seen a NAUI shop in 18 years, across the whole of Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Not a single one...

I've wondered if a not for profit dive agency would be beneficial to diving.

Well BSAC is (was? not sure if it is still not for profit) in the UK and outside of UK (there are BSAC clubs certainly in the Middle East).

Although I let my membership lapse about 20 years ago I still dive with other BSAC divers occasionally.

I am pretty sure there is no NAUI dive shop on Maui, perhaps less than a handful in the State of Hawaii.

The Naui Dive Center Locator shows 4 in Hawaii, none on Maui:

Kona Honu Divers web site claims they are an SSI / PADI shop. :idk:

North Hawaii Dive Adventures looks to be a NAUI dive shop, in North Kohala. :rofl3:

Pearl Harbor Divers is a NAUI / SDI/TDI / PADI Tec/Rec shop in Honolulu.

Sun and Sea Hawaii, in Hilo, has no web site. :idk:

Aquatic Adventures, on Kauai, calls itself a NAUI Pro Platinum Instructor Training Facility, but the "NAUI Locator" can not locate them. :shocked2:

If you click on the About Us page all they talk about are PADI training and programs taught by PADI instructors. :idk:

So I find one NAUI shop in a very small, very remote town on the Big Island and a mostly tec shop in Honolulu that is also TDI/SDI and PADI Tec/Rec.

That IS little impact to the training market space, in one of the States!!!

Last edited:

This hasn't been true for a long time. (early 1980s?). NAUI went for-profit several years ago. GUE with a couple of dozen instructors has had more impact than NAUI over the last decade.

In the mid 70s you needed to do some serious diving to get the NAUI Advanced card -surface supplied, DPV, deco, and sat were some of the possibilities. I got mine after three months of commercial diving training.

This hasn't been true for a long time. (early 1980s?). NAUI went for-profit several years ago. GUE with a couple of dozen instructors has had more impact than NAUI over the last decade.

In the mid 70s you needed to do some serious diving to get the NAUI Advanced card -surface supplied, DPV, deco, and sat were some of the possibilities. I got mine after three months of commercial diving training.

NAUI is still not-for-profit organization as far as I know.

I've wondered if a not for profit dive agency would be beneficial to diving.
There are several.

I doubt it. Making money is not a bad thing. If it weren't for the profit motive, most if not all of the equipment we use would be unavailable to all but the military or commercial operations. The agencies provide a very important service that I don't think non-profits can match. They bring people to the sport. My point was that the real training doesn't come from the agency, it comes from the instructor.

Most people will never be more than the occassional vacation diver. That is just fine. They help fund the rest of us who see diving as a life style. They keep the dive shops operational and the manufacturers in business. If that means we play a little loose with descriptors, like Master Diver, then so be it.
The gear that was available 30 years ago has not been significantly improved, with the exception of electronics. We really don't need the masses to have acceptable gear.

Instead of standing up and creating a separate quality identity NAUI chased PADI and, in many ways, became a shadow of it's former self.

NAUI has always been, and continues to be a non-profit. There was a time when NAUI Advanced (and NAUI Master Diver) with the epitome of diving.
Interesting. There was a fair bit of a flap when going for-profit was tabled with the board of directors. I guess I assumed it was a done deal.
Hell hath no fury as an unwarranted assumption.:D

This is true, but does make the assumption that an instructor rating implies anything other than good basic skills and the ability to teach.

Being an open water scuba instructor involves teaching the basics. There shouldn't be any assumption that an instructor is an 'expert' in, or even proficient in, anything other than the basic/core scuba curriculum.

Hi,
Sorry for the delayed reply.
I just would like to quote the following ;

”DIVEMASTER
The divemaster rating is the first PADI Membership level….. This rating denotes an individual
who has exemplary diving skills and role model behavior, solid rescue
skills, professional level knowledge of dive theory, dive management and supervision
abilities, and competence as a certified assistant.”
The OWSI have to on top of this ;
OPEN WATER SCUBA INSTRUCTOR
;…” During their training…. OWSIs review PADI, Standards, procedures, philosophies and teaching methods as well as hone their practical teaching ability, watermanship, and diving knowledge”….

So YES, I do expect that a DM or OWSI as a bit more than " good basic skills and the ability to teach."
If not, explain me how a OWSI that can teach from B.M. to D.M. courses is going to teach a DM couse for example if he never has done the job himself?

And the manual does not tell you everything it's just a guide line, you really have to know the job so you can teach a proper course.
I'm I wrong?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom