reusing a Padi OW book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Devon Diver and others for confirming that I can reuse the book. I'd rather spend that money on gear for her to be comfortable.

In regard to the copywrite. The only way that you would be in violation of the law is if you willfully copied and redistributed. Making copies for your own use is not a violation. My wife grew up in a family that did commercial printing and worked in the industry for 20 years, so I don't have any qualms about that.

Book should be current and intact.That said , at the facility I currently teach out of, we give internet access with a username and password to go on our web site and complete the KR's there.They answer our multiple choice questions,similar to PADI's kr questions,but different so not to violate copyright issues, click on the submit button and it is returned to them corrected and they then print it out and bring to class for review.We also have customized our digital presentations for academics to reflect the online kr's that we use.
I have been told that the owner has received the ok from PADI to operate this way.This has been used for years here and has been very successful.
I am surprised that PADI has not followed our example and does the same thing.I guess there is no $ in it for them to do so, but they could charge access to the facilities that desires to operate this way,so that is not a good reason!
So with our facility it does not matter if the text has the kr's in it or not. We still collect kr's even though it is no longer required.
Of course the student still needs the RDP and "use of rdp" booklet and a personal training log book . ,We are not so cheap that we cannot spring for a student record file. Pic's are not included in our crewpacks and we complete pics electronically,so it does not matter.

I purchased the PADI Manual in CD from my instructor. You print out the review questions, answer them and bring them to class.

Could you give me more information on this. I have never seen or heard of the PADI open water manual on disc. Where did you do the course?

This has been an interesting discussion. I should have remembered from my IDC that you must be a lawyer to read between the lines and to read the actual lines and then interpret them into something understandable. My daughter in law is a Patent Attorney and she says that if a book, DVD, music etc. has a copy right then you cannot make a copy without written permission. Then in talking here it seems that PADI has no problem with it. It is like the old adage - repeat something enough times (especially if you are in charge) then it becomes fact whether it is true or not. I would suspect that many dive shops are just like mine in that in order to increase sales they insist upon a book for every individual - this despite the fact that the booklet of tests we give out for each module and the final exam are all copied...:confused: Also local customs seem to apply...this is the way we have always done it so that is the correct way.
My CD - whose husband started PADI - was a real stickler on standards naturally but this subject never came up. I am going to call her and ask for her interpretation...just to put a bug in her ear.
Thanks to the OP for this post and to Devon Diver especially for his replies. Now I have to go read the manual again to ensure that I am somewhat current with the latest jargon.
To the OP, tell your wife to have fun and you guys have a great time diving together. Now in the true PADI fashion....buy equipment and take more classes. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom