Class Report - Cavern/Intro with Rich Courtney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations to both of you! Sounds like you both had a wonderful time and came home with a lot of enhanced skills and knowledge as a result of your experiences! Nice work!

Thank you for the very kind words. It was an honor to dive with you both.

Now, what you ladies need is a trip to Mexico . . . :D

Glad my favorite northerners had fun, I think... :wink:
Had a great time diving with you guys and it was really nice watching it all come together (kinda!) on the last day. Perrone was definitely good to y'all and I'm happy things worked out.
Hopefully you can pass on that cave diving's an activity that's not to be undertaken lightly and I expect to see you guys down here soon or Mexico/Bahamas practicing your new found skills! As we talked about, if you decide to head down to North FL, gimme a shout, we'll go cave diving and I promise I won't turn out any lights or harass you, at least underwater.... :mooner:
Congratulations on your hard earned Basic Cave certs and I'll talk to y'all soon..... :)

Safe diving,

Rich

how exciting! i'm thrilled for you both.

i got to meet spf before either one of us were really cave divers - back in the 'wannabe' stage. :wink:

Awesome reports, Donna and Sam. Thanks for sharing your learning curve. Sounds like you got soooo much out of your training. Meeting Scubaboarders is awesome...local guides, mentors, saviors, patient saints, and/or comedians.
I had to laugh all the way through your descriptions as I see myself being the :dork2: :trainwreck: in April when I take my cavern class. I hope Capt. Jim takes an extra dose of "patience" pills with his morning vitamins those days.

I'm looking forward to the class but not at being the entertainment for all those participating in the annual Spring Megadive that weekend. I'm sure there will be photos and bonfire depictions :shakehead: :rofl3::rofl3:.

:sanctum:
Here's your theme smiley...

While I thought both of these reports were awesome I wanted to add just a couple things now that I have a few moments.

1. Donna and Sam are two good friends and dive buddies. It cannot be overstated how helpful this is when taking a challenging course. I noted how much they were able to communicate WITHOUT words at times, or with very few words. This was expedient, and efficient both in the water and above the water. That understanding can really help move things along when the need arises.

2. I noted that the question came up here in the thread about "continuing cave training." Personally, I feel that divers should progress slowly and deliberately though these levels. There is MUCH to see and do at each level of training. Sam and Donna should probably be concerned about honing their currently learned skills so that when they proceed to further levels, these skills are well ingrained. For those NOT able to cave dive regularly this is challenging, and I hope they try to replicate as much of the experience as possible in open water.

3. I was very happy to be able to re-do a day of cavern and watch Rich work. Running the reel has never been a strong suit of mine but I picked up some good tips from the class and will be doing some land work to hone my skills. Thanks for the refresher Rich.

4. It's always entertaining to me to see people come in from other areas and get immersed in "cave country" and the culture around it. I find that culture unique in the world of diving and enjoy it quite a lot. The shops are different, the dive stories are different, and sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming. Sam and Donna took it all in stride, and it was great to see how much they took from the entire experience.

I'll be looking forward to a nice relaxing dive with them the next time they are down in cave country. :)

Hi Donna and Sam,

Glad you both had fun and safe dives. One of these days I'm going to make it down for some cavern training. Sounds like a blast, and the skills should transfer nicely to the kind of diving we do up here.

Happy diving,
Ari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom