reusing a Padi OW book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRadke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I certified for open water last year and my wife is going to work towards certification this year. If she uses my book, what additional paperwork will she need and what fees can we expect?

I believe the card fee is $30. If the book still has the tests I would guess you could get away with just the remaining course fees minus materials fee. All the shops I spoke with when looking, though, said if the book didn't have the tests still in it, you had to buy a new materials packet.

It depends upon how the dive centre concerned purchase their 'certification credits' from PADI.
Many dive centres purchase 'crew packs' which have the manual and paper application form combined. If they do this, then they might not be able to easily source a separate application form for your wife. They'd be within their rights to ask you to buy a new crewpack, complete with manual.

Other dive centres might supply manuals, but certify their students via an online application. This means that they could easily deduct the cost of the manual from their overall course price.

You will also need some form of dive planner for the course. You need to check with the dive centre what type of planner they use with their OW courses. Some use a plastic table (Recreational Dive Planner -RDP). Some use an electronic calculator (Electronic Recreational Dive Planner - ERDP). These also normally come as part of a crewpack with the manual. If they include these crewpacks within the course cost, it will be harder to get a reduction. You can source these things directly (try Ebay).. so you could enquire in advance and then get what was necessary prior to the course.

PADI does have a policy about student's owning manuals. However, as you do actually own a manual, then you are within the bounds of that policy. It has to be a current edition of the manual though... so you'd need to check that out.

Summary:
1) Is the manual a current edition?
2) How does the dive centre process it's certifications with PADI?
3) What form of RDP do they use with the course?
4) Can they separate the cost of a manual, if the certification and RDP are also provided?
5) How much actual deduction can they give you, even if they can separate the manual cost?

In a word NO. They are copy righted and technically it is illegal to even copy the knowledge reviews (that is why they are attached and aren't made to tear out). PADI changes their manuals just about every year along with just about everything else. As a PADI instructor, I am almost constantly out of date with various manuals, cue cards etc. PADI is a business and they do it very well.

NOW....as a PADI instructor, in reality.....:popcorn:

In a word NO. They are copy righted and technically it is illegal to even copy the knowledge reviews (that is why they are attached and aren't made to tear out).

If the knowledge reviews were still in the book, there wouldn't be a problem.

Copyrighting only prevents duplication of the materials. There's nothing to stop a student writing their answers onto a blank piece of paper or even completing them electronically/word processed, thus preserving the Knowledge Reviews in the book. Likewise, there is no PADI standard that dictates that students must complete the knowledge reviews by writing in their manual.

If the OP's manual didn't have the Knowledge Reviews (i.e. they had been torn out on a previous course), then they wouldn't have access to the required materials and would have to purchase a new manual.

Since the PADI standards changed a few years ago...and dive centers have no requirement to tear out and keep knowledge reviews... there is a good chance that they'll still be in the manual.

Summary: 1) Is the manual a current edition? 2) How does the dive centre process it's certifications with PADI? 3) What form of RDP do they use with the course? 4) Can they separate the cost of a manual, if the certification and RDP are also provided? 5) How much actual deduction can they give you, even if they can separate the manual cost?

Answers

1 -The manual that I have is version 2.10 copywrite 2008
2 - I don't know, but they didn't use the Student record file form from my crew pack. I remember receiveing a form to send in, but I think it came from the instructor.
3 - I own the RDP and the instruction manual for it
4 - not sure because all she should really need is the form for the cert card if the Student Record File form isn't what gets sent in.
5 - Training cost will amount to a good tip to the instructor. It's good to have friends :D

What I'm not sure of is what to do about a dive log and getting the certification sent in, assuming that she passes.

There will be no problem.

PADI allows you to share manuals when it is for a family or a couple at the same address. The ratio is 1 manual per 2 Individuals.

Please do let anyone tell you otherwise, e.g dive shop etc. I can even send you the e-mail I have from PADI that I had to get to convince a former boss about the 'family' rule.

True statements....however, we tell our students to fill out the KR's in the book and most write in the book. If they copy the pages, then they are violating copyright. I have my students do exactly what you said, fill them out on their computer or on a blank sheet. I do put a copy of the KR's in their files to show that they were done and here are the answers (yes it is NOT required) and I have them keep a copy for themselves...the best way in my opinion is to write in the manual and then they can use it for reference later. So far I have not been faced with the OP's situation....all of mine have had the husband and wife in class together and then they are required to have their own set of manuals. (shop requires it - mo money)

If the knowledge reviews were still in the book, there wouldn't be a problem.

Copyrighting only prevents duplication of the materials. There's nothing to stop a student writing their answers onto a blank piece of paper or even completing them electronically/word processed, thus preserving the Knowledge Reviews in the book. Likewise, there is no PADI standard that dictates that students must complete the knowledge reviews by writing in their manual.

If the OP's manual didn't have the Knowledge Reviews (i.e. they had been torn out on a previous course), then they wouldn't have access to the required materials and would have to purchase a new manual.

Since the PADI standards changed a few years ago...and dive centers have no requirement to tear out and keep knowledge reviews... there is a good chance that they'll still be in the manual.

So far I have not been faced with the OP's situation....all of mine have had the husband and wife in class together and then they are required to have their own set of manuals. (shop requires it - mo money)

This is what was mentioned earlier by the wart.

PADI does allow husband/wife to share a manual, if taking the course together. I've confirmed that with PADI. It was announced in a training bulletin I believe...

Of course, your shop doesn't have to honor that standard, but if customers know it is possible.... doesn't look so good for the shop. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom