Large pelagic action off of redondo beach today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemon

Reaction score
very large school of some sort of pelagics thrashing up the water off of redondo today. anyone know what it was - tuna? dolphins? both? oddly didnt see many birds overhead but it was kind of far out so hard to tell...

probably dolphins feeding on sardine schools. this temp of water you wont see much anything else right now.

They're still feeding on squid out here on Catalina... Redondo is another location for squid spawning, so that may be a possibility.

I dove Vets last night and we only saw one lonely squid swimming around. Vis was about 10-12' with 1-2' surf. There was still some other stuff to look at, but not as good as last Thurdsday night.

Good chance that they were Thresher sharks feeding on mackerel (if not dolphins). You can usually tell by the long tail whipping around above and below the water line.
I had lunch at Nelson's in P.V. yesterday and spotted two sets of sharks (Blues or Threshers) feeding about a 1/2 mile out.
Get Wet!

I dove there today. It was flat as a lake, with about 15-20 ft viz in deeper sections. I didn't see any pelagics, but before my brother and I saw a 7 gill thrashing around on the surface. I have seen threshers out that way before.

Today we got buzzed a good 3 times by a cormorant at 63 feet. I shot and video and will post it soon at Partial Pressure Productions on Vimeo. It was pretty comical, he was trying to eat a 10 inch turbot and it kept swimming away from him.

the action that i saw yesterday was at least 1/2 mile out and in a large area with constant large splashes (definitely not whale/dolphin spouts). lasted at a minimum one hour from the time i first spotted it from shore. it was quite spread out - at least a 100+ yards.

wish i'd had a boat to get out there and see what the heck was going on.

Spg01, same here,in as much as the shores i've been seeing it is nearly vacant still in squid numbers. I do see large schools of sardines all over.

I've been witnessing a lot of baitball action lately around the peninsula. Pelicans, cormorants, gulls, sea lions and dolphins have been attacking like mad.
[youtubehq]ohZZ83C2DcQ&hd=1[/youtubehq]

Back
Top Bottom