Have you seen this before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair Mott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
When Bob became frustrated with the way his old jet fins were not only moving him through the water, but how they were treating his body he began his quest for a better fin.
The first thing he did was make a series of drawings of a human leg as it changes during a normal flutter kick cycle.

legmachine2.jpg

He also made an articulated paper cut out that he connected the foot to the calf, calf to the quadriceps to better visualize the workings of our kicking muscles.
After studying the process he made Force Fins by taking the foot out of the equation. The Force Fin open foot pocket leverages power from your strongest kicking muscles, the quadriceps not the smaller muscles in you feet and calves.

I was drawn to Force Fin decades ago due to the shape of the blades. It just does not look like a dive fin (or what I was led to believe) and I had to try it out. After studying the foot Bob Evans studied Nature and this is where he drew some of his inspiration for the shape of the Force Fin. There are no flat fins in nature and it does not make sense to try and use such a shape to propel you through the water? Right?

I would like to show you some photos or divers trying to “push themselves” not propel, but push themselves through the water using Terrestris Fins. Bob had about a hundred photos he wanted me to post up from his recent dive trip, but I shortened it to four.

As most people are still using Terrestris Fins you can observe this on almost any dive site or training location where divers can be found. It is the wiggle woogle strain bain cramp inducing fins struggling through a kick cycle that we think, frankly are discouraging divers all over the world to stay with diving.
badfin_be.jpg

It is clear to see the fin on the left is pointed straight down as a result of the closed foot pocket there fore putting all the strain on the ankle and forcing the fin blade into a non propulsive angle during the down / power stroke in a two kick cycle motion. I can remember in my days before my Force Fins I would have to put up with this constant strain on my ankles and calves through out the dive. The divers fin on his right leg is at the end of the up/recovery stroke and clearly looks like it has been forced out to a perfect perpendicular angle in reference to the other fin blade. This happens because the strain is to much for the diver as well as the shape of the blade results in pushing water off to the side of the blade.
Bob captured the same moment in time with another diver down the reef.
badfin4_be.jpg

With this diver you can also see the muscles tense and ready for combat with more strain, drag, and resistance to moving the blade through the water. The fin on the right leg again is forced into a perpendicular angle to the other blade again. The diver is under attack from his own set of dive fins. I asked Bob if he shot any pictures of the Marine life he said he did, but this photo he took while tailing this diver and observing the wooble and shutter of the fins moving through the water.

badfin2_be.jpg

Divers will naturally let the fin spill out and wooble because they do not want to subject themselves to the constant strain and stress that their ankles and calves, and knees are up against when using Terrestris Fins.
badfin3_be.jpg

Notice the ball of his strained calve muscle.

badfin1_be.jpg

Are you twisted or are you free?

Last edited:
Very nice and nicely explained.
But why a Force Fin cost 5 times the cost of a normal plain fin ?
It seems not to be something related to manufacture process and materials. Only marketing.

Emoreira, Thanks for your review. The above fin's I photographed cost about $7.50 per pair to manufacture. Due to the high performance materials I have used for over 30 years now, some of my fin models cost over $100.00 per pair to manufacture. I do make the most expensive fins with less than a dime in marketing spent. 80% of sales from from word of mouth. Where have you seen our marketing, other than YouTube - ForceFin2020's Channel

Hi Bob.
I love this forum, because I can directly interact with the manufacturers of the gear, like you.
I live in Argentina. Your fins are unknown here, or at least cannot be bought here.
I usually buy gear in the USA in on-line shops like Leisurepro, Divers-supply, Scubatoys, etc. They have not your fins listed.
I've seen in some other sites your fins and they resulted to be a lot expensive compared with the so called "Terrestial fins", even those split fins, and top of the line models.
Though the concept could be good, and simplicity makes them even better, it seems to me that the cost is still too high.
When I say marketing I'm refering to the concept of "I have something incredible good and I'm the only one with this, so if you want it, pay for it", no matter if the manufacturing + materials cost is high or low. I'm not discussing this, I cannot.
Though I normally swim a lot, and I'm more or less fit, I still cannot get rid of calf cramps, so I started to investigate the thing and something made me point to your fins.

I don't think that Bob is getting rich from selling his "high priced" fins. They are all hand poured and trimmed and made from very high grade urethane. He does not produce/sell thousands and thousands of mass produced (machine made) fins. I would be willing to bet that there are a lot of his fins that are tossed in the garbage because they are not right (voids, color, etc).

Once thing you know when you buy Force Fins is that the quality will be there. They don't fall apart after 2-3 years (the only other type of fins that last almost as long are made of natural rubber and they are either floppy or board stiff). People still dive 20+ year old Force Fins.

The higher end Force Fins are very limited production - and even hand signed by Bob - so the cost is higher. But when you consider that you can dive them for 20+ years - the yearly cost averages out to a wash versus buying a new pair of fins that fall apart every few years. It is the same old consumer choice - buy a new Yugo every 3 years and give it away then or buy a Mercedes and drive it for 10 years and get 25% of your purchase price when you sell it. Higher initial investment in one but a lower yearly cost. Hmmm which is the better investment :confused::confused:

emoriera,

I was once in the same situation as you, I loved to be under water except for my cramped toes and knotted calves from my conventional closed toe fins. Force Fins are without a doubt the solution to this problem. It helped me and I have passed along my knowledge to other divers.

With respect to the cost issue first I would say that a recent check of Liesurepro.com had many fins in the same price range as the classic Force Fin and the Force Fin Pro. Atomic, Aeris, Mares etc. have fins in the $150+ price range.

Then I would ask how much is it worth to you to dive comfortably and enjoy your time underwater. Think about how much you have spent on all your other dive gear for me the decision was easy.

As far as availability in Argentina Bob and Blair have helped out many international Scubaboard members so I will leave that to them.

For me the choice was easy and I have never looked back. Best of luck in your diving pursuits and if you do decided to purchase a set of Force Fins feel free to check back and let us know how it worked out for you.

Mark D.

Emoreira, Argentina here we come. I have heard wonderful news about your Country. Great beef! and big sky. Today at Force fin, We signed a contract to become the largest watersports company in the World....with time. Our products will be in your Country soon and we will support saving the Waters and Oceans of our Planet. Big Dreams, but with out the support of thousands of Force fin users this would never happen. Home | Sylvia Earle Alliance Our best wishes to our Brothers and Sisters in Egypt.

Love my force fin pro's, and have no problem with the price I paid. You get what you pay for, and spending money on your propulsion is important. When diving you do use your fins a fair amount:D
Only problem I have is they are a little tight with my drysuit, so I think I'll have to get a larger size for the colder water. Don't get any cramps underwater, get those fighting to get the bungee straps over the drysuit boots:wink:

Hey Bob, don't you still have that 20% off for people in countries south of the equator. But Emoreira, even at full price they're a bargain, wait till you see a pair. They're tough and thick and will last for a lot longer than the rest of my dive gear. Hope you get a pair soon and let everyone on hear know what you think.

Hey Csicnomore, your right we do have a deal for those South of the Equator and free shipping.Force Fin: About Us We credit the discount at time of shipping. Thanks for reminding me of this great deal and have a great Sunday

Back
Top Bottom