3 person Buddy team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband, son, and I dive as three people. It's very important that the 'round robin' of buddy watching be clear -- it's too easy for two adults be watching out for the child and forget about each other, or the two kids watching each other and forgetting about dad.

This should be in a well-communicated dive plan.

A three person team that works together and has dive experience together is a great thing. In fact, adding a new person as a fourth may be a detriment as the team already has their communication and procedures worked out between them.

We have been to Bonaire many times, and sampled a number of different operators, and in our experience they hardly press the buddy issue, so I doubt you'll have any issues boat diving as a threesome. And as noted earlier, much of the diving in Bonaire is shore based, and there is no supervision at all, so you can dive it as you and your buddies wish. In fact, we're going back in June for two back-to-back one week trips.

Have fun!

In my experience one of your guys can buddy up with the Divemaster on the charter or you can work as a three man team.
/slight offtopic digresssion:

If the DM you refer to is the one leading a group dive, then he is not really anybody's buddy.

There are many incidents reported on Scubaboard where a diver thought "the DM is my buddy", but the DM was not willing to leave the rest of the group to ascend with the single diver when he reached the ascent pressure.

I've never had any dive operator anywhere object to a 3 man team. And you ALWAYS have the right to refuse to buddy up with anyone you don't want to dive with.

We habitually dive as teams of three. I like it. It takes some coordination, but it sounds like you guys have worked that out. You will then have three sets of eyes looking for interesting critters!

Enjoy your trip to Bonaire.

Yes, have done it countless times since '85 when myself, wife & oldest(14 YO then) were certified--later on within 6 years our other 2 kids were certified(@ age 12 each)---made for 5 man teams @ times.................Ah, those were the days, expensive but good(traveling to the Caribbean)

I would have to say that you can learn a lot by diving with outher people as well. So including a forth person could be a learning experience because a some point you or your children will dive with outher people. As for diving in a team of three I have done that quite a bit at a bunch of different dive resorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom