Why a can light in today's environment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two weeks ago I proudly toted my new Intova Ultra Nova into Little River, only to have it flood on the second dive and reduce to a faint, intermittent blinking cry for help.

Why did it flood, if you know? Is there a known problem?

I personally like having the bulk of the battery on my hip and a small light head on a goodman handle. Also I enjoy the fact that the goodman handle allows a "hands free" approach. Here in the north east the water is always dark and murky so I never dive without my can light.

that also makes it no good for me. how bright is this thing though? is it pretty focused?

Edd thinks pretty highly of it.

Edd thinks pretty highly of it.

Edd has 2 of them on his harness, I like them a lot too, just too focused of a beam to really enjoy a cave.

:hm: So - what if someone made a goodman handle by which you could mount a hand-held?

I'm thinking the huge strides in battery output and the LED development will make an impact on the can light industry.

I look at can lights, and many of the 'names' have this great beam and 4-5 hours of burn time.

However, with lights like the Intova Ultranova, and many other fine handhelds, why is the preferred light still the can light?

Because much of the value of a good can light is in the superior beam (still) and the goodman handle. Handheld lights are not a superior solution in either case.

Reading this thread - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/technical-diving-specialties/369523-canister-lights-one-why.html revealed that many of the can lights have only 4 -5 hours burn time, so hauling the heavy can and light doesn't seem to make sense, when so many handhelds produce so admirably.

When handheld lights are "better" I think more people will be open to the idea. However, they are not yet better. At least not as primaries. And the weight of the can light (I have an ~8hr burn on my 21w) is part of my weighting system. I want the weight, and I want it on my right side. It makes a lovely offset for the stage bottle or deco bottles I might carry on my left side. Otherwise I'd need a useless piece of lead over there. The can also makes a very convenient spot to tuck my 7ft hose. No can means I have to worry about keeping that cord tucked into my harness all dive.

So, if someone made an adjustable goodman handle for handhelds, they might have greater use?

Depends on the handle. Most are awful. And during cave dives, I switch my light between hands numerous times when I dive. Like when I check my SPG, when I use my dump valve, when I add gas to my wing, when I need to reach in my pocket for my wet notes, arrows, cookies, or other things. The basic goodman handle makes this a simple affair. the elastic handles are floppy, and hard to remove quickly.

I had hoped to put one of the intova lights in the water at Peacock last weekend, but didn't get the chance. I need a new backup light. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the switch on the end of the light, but it is convenient to turn on with one hand.

Mine flooded before I got to try it on the dive, but on land it was pretty impressive. Nice tight spot with a faint spill corona. If the warranty replacement unit survives at depth, I'll definitely be leaving my HID light at home for Caribbean trips.

Let's put it this way: I ordered a couple of the same Cree Q5 LED modules it uses to convert a couple of my other Scout-like and UK SL6 xenon lights. Whether or not the Intova works out, I am absolutely sold on the technology.

Reactions: Jax
:hm: So - what if someone made a goodman handle by which you could mount a hand-held?

I'm thinking the huge strides in battery output and the LED development will make an impact on the can light industry.

Really, it boils down to the fact that they aren't solving any problems technical divers have. We already have lights that have better beams for cave, wreck, and murky water. We already have lights with long run times. We already have lights with better depth ratings. We already have lights with proven reliability. We already have lights produced by people who do the dives we do and who understand what we actually need.

Has anyone seen Intova at the NACD convention? CDS?

[edit]

This presumes use as a PRIMARY. Use as a backup is a totally different game.

Why did it flood, if you know? Is there a known problem?
One retailer in FL (not Edd) told me there was a known bad batch, and that they hadn't had any floods since they sent that batch back to the factory. It's possible I did something stupid, too, but that would have most likely have flooded the battery compartment, and that only had a few drops in it. So I'm claiming innocence.

I'm not familiar with the particular light you're asking about, but I've seen some goodman handles that would adapt themselves well with a little DIY effort to a hand held style light.

One thing I really like about a can light is the fact that you can drape the cord over your neck and let the head hang down if you ever need both hands to deal with something. That's difficult to do with a hand held.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom