Getting started in vintage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been looking for Basic Scuba. Hard to find here, and none available on Amazon.com. sniff...

Dale, here's the photo:

Taken from Diver Below by Hank and Shaney Frey:

IMG_9135.jpg

Luis, I noted your write-up in VDH regarding the difference between the DA Aquamaster and the Royal Aquamaster. The HP part of the 1st stage looks amazingly like the crown assembly on my USD Pro Diver...

prodiverHPside.jpg

I was wondering whether or not the two were the same...if they were, would it be possible to convert a DA into a Royal if I found one?

The Royal uses the same 1st stage parts as today's USD Titian and Conshelf's the problem is the DA 1st stage body is about a tenth of an inch shorter than a Royal body and the Royal parts don't have enough room to work properly even though you can stuff them in. Also the orifice in the Royal body is larger than the DA.

Hi Captain! I think I read in a previous thread about the internals being the same. As for the manuals, it seems that the one I downloaded uses different parts numbers from the later manuals.

I was specifically trying to compare this part, the HP orifice. I used to have a pro-diver schematic but I've misplaced it :(

Screenshot2011-02-09at121912AM.jpg

....I don't think there's much of a vintage scene here, so I still don't know what the Scuba Police are going to say...

Yeah, I was worried at first but I've been able to use my RAM in a couple of places in the PI without any problems - Anilao (Aquaventure, Planet Dive, and Dive n Trek), Davao, Gen San, Bohol, Leyte. I've also used it with just a BP/harness without any trouble.

Most divers who've approached me about it were just curious and thought it was a pretty sweet setup. (which it is :crafty:) Hope you find some other vintage equipment divers to dive with, but it's also kinda awkwardly cool when your rig sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the sea of equipment on a crowded saturday at aquaV. :)

edit: you know what - I just remembered a conversation I had with Bongskee at Aquaventure. He told me there was one other diver aside from me that dove a double hose. This was 3 years ago, so maybe he would know if there's more of a scene now!

Hi Captain! I think I read in a previous thread about the internals being the same. As for the manuals, it seems that the one I downloaded uses different parts numbers from the later manuals.

I was specifically trying to compare this part, the HP orifice. I used to have a pro-diver schematic but I've misplaced it :(

Screenshot2011-02-09at121912AM.jpg

If you re asking if i the circled part can be used to convert a DA to a Royal the answer is no.

If you want to convert a DA AquaMaster (DAAM) to a Royal AquaMaster (RAM), you will need to replace the nozzle with one from a RAM or get a Phoenix nozzle from Vintage Double Hose. I have a Phoenix on my DAAM and it not only converted my DAAM to a PRAM (Phoenix Royal AquaMaster), it adds three HP ports and three LP ports. This allows for the attachment of SPG, octo and BC inflator. Something you might want to consider.

If you re asking if i the circled part can be used to convert a DA to a Royal the answer is no.

Ah well, guess it better be a RAM then :D But I'll take whatever I can find. There was one thread here by NEDiver51 where he was selling 4 DAs. I've sent him a PM. My question is how come it hasn't been scarfed up yet?

On a different note, I just finished watching Thunderball :D

Last edited:
Just ordered a copy of The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving. It should get here in a month. Now is there anyone out there who wants to sell a copy of Basic Scuba?

Back
Top Bottom