Winter wetsuit diving in BC. Is it crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomecki

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to diving in general. I have about 15 dives under my belt but all in warm water. I recently moved to Vancouver and I'm dying to check out the great diving around here.

I know a lot of people use dry suits around here. I don't have a dry suit certification yet so I'm wondering how feasible winter diving with a 7mm wetsuit is off the coast of BC?

Thanks

I don't know about BC, but here in New England, I draw the line at 50 degree water, usually the end of October, for wetsuit diving. I'll start up again on April 15th this year...

Sure for a dive its fine, as you dive more than one dive it can be cold and the longer the dive it gets colder also.

Happy Diving

Before I got my dry suit I dove a few times in my 7 mm wetsuit at Whytecliff park. We did 2 dives and it was bearable with water around 50F. A good trick is to put hot water in old milk jugs, put them in a cooler adn bring it to rinse yourself off between and after dives. Makes a world of difference.

I spend part of the year on Vancouver Island and have decided to get a dry suit for it. Ogden Point rents two piece 7mm (which equates to 14mm core) and I was fine in 50 degree surface, 42 degree at 40 feet during the spring. I dove Maple Bay in my 8/7 sol FX in winter and was good for one dive each outing (same temps).
The problem is the ambient air temp when you get out of the water. During the winter I wouldn't go without a dry suit again, especially if planning multiple dives.
Get Wet!

A 7mm is possible but as others have said, it's pretty much limited to one dive a day, especially on cold days. If you already have one use it until you can afford a drysuit.

I dove a 7mm in Nova Scotia one winter and water temps were -2 to 0C. But I was only able to dive once a day and for less than 40 minutes.

Ok, I did it. Two dives on Saturday. The verdict: Bearable - Yes; Comfortable - No.

Thanks for the good advice everyone, I guess I had to find out for myself. I'll be signing up for a drysuit course soon.

Ok, I did it. Two dives on Saturday. The verdict: Bearable - Yes; Comfortable - No.

Thanks for the good advice everyone, I guess I had to find out for myself. I'll be signing up for a drysuit course soon.

Nobody can take those dives away from you. Well done! :D

I find anything below 37F to be painful. Having said that, I've just signed up for an ice rescue/recovery course. (Dry suit, because now I'm a puss.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom