How dedicated to diving are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very true. There are people in this world who make you question if evolution works.

I've gotten to know you fairly well on SB, SAS and you're a reasonable person so I believe you when you say you couldn't deal with him. I hope I never have to deal with that kind of animosity and I'm sorry that you did.

R..

Thanks, but oh well makes a good story now! :)

I have only ever had one encounter with angry fishermen and that was my fault (a current pulled us into their lines) and just apologising and explaining fixed that one, then we had a chat about what we saw.

I don't know why some divers complain so much about fishermen or try to make their life difficult... it's really very easy for both to share the water.

Never had a problem with fishermen, but I can see how that would happen. Out here in Oahu getting your broken into is a far greater worry, and to mitigate this I only drive my old beater to dives, I clip my id and keys to my BCD and I leave the car unlocked. Haven't had a problem yet, and I suspect the fact my car looks like an "island beater" helps. I've found most locals to be very friendly here when I run into them diving, and I hope I'm doing my part to keep military/local relations good.

Michael

"After the fact, I went and talked to the guy and apologized for cutting off his thing but I explained that it looked pretty dangerous and I didn't want to get hooked by it. Even at that he said he understood and apologized in return and we parted without a fight."

"Cut off his thing"....:amazed: ...:rofl3:...sorry its been a long day!

Dive for sure, wouldn't give two thoughts to it.

I was in a situation diving late at night once when there was a belligerent fisherman yelling that he would throw big hooks into us and set his dogs on us if we got in the water. I had a go at him for a bit (whilst my wussy buddies hid on the other side of the carpark :p) but he was not one to respond well to logic so I ended up calling the cops (in case he damaged our cars whilst we were under). They warned him but couldn't do anything unless he tried to attack us or something. We just got in the water whilst he yelled continuously at us. Got out later after a nice dive, all was well. Most people are all talk.

I totally agree; whilst is definitely not a word you hear too often.

I totally agree; whilst is definitely not a word you hear too often.

It is where I am from :) I know in USA, it is considered outdated, however.

Issue of trust??
If you dove and your buddy guarded the vehicle, why no reciprocation? He should have dove while you guarded.
Eric

Maybe the buddy did not want to dive solo.

I would question the wisdom of diving sol with less than 50 dives.

Greetings osagediver you used good judgement and if my buddy was not persistent on moving on, had I been in your shoes.......
I would have done the same.
I would have spoken to the fisherman and asked about the others, because I love to fish and would have spent the down time hanging with them if they allowed.
Like Diver0001 I have made some great friends talking with fisherman.
Great opportunity to meet new people and before long they start to look for you in a crowd.
Without a doubt they would ask you to retrieve a lure or ask where the fish are.
I have found that little tips on holes, coral crops, structure that attracts fish can buy you lots of dock credit with fisherman.

I did not say this out loud but if they are catching well try to offer them some compensation for several dinner fish!
I love fresh fish and if I have not had them for a while, I am going to offer!
One thing not to do is take your spear gun on the dive to close to the pier that cold be a issue unless you know the fellows. Be sure to know the local laws and etiquette.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom