What would be a safer weight next dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_chicck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,
I have just received my OW certificate and the dive I did after it, I had some issues I have questions about regarding weight.
I wear a 5mm full wetsuit, typically with 14lbs weight. Usually that works great for me buoyancy wise. My last dive was deeper, to 102' and by the time it was time to surface I had absolute positive buoyancy-went straight up with my buddy holding on to me to try and keep me down for a more controlled ascent. Needless to say a safety stop couldn't happen. Fortunately there were no health issues. I should have asked more questions then but didn't.
Any one who can offer advice on what weight to start at in the future to avoid this same problem. I am a vacationer solo diver - meaning I'm group boat diving with a stranger for a buddy and can't rely on them to have extra weights on hand. I'm assuming more weight and using more air to create neutral buoyancy...but would 16lbs be good?
I appreciate any and all input.
Thank you

The tanks were rentals, but from the same shop. They all looked the same ie. not aluminum.
I had already completely emptied my BCD.

Try 18 next time then take it to 16 after that and see how you feel. Would do this in a shallow dive in case it does not work. I assume you are taking your tank down to no less than 500psi.

14lbs seems very light for a new diver with a 5mm. 5mm seems really thin for the waters you dive in. In BC I dive with an 8mm hooded and am often cold. The rentals are usually 7mm john with a 7mm top, equating to 14mm around your core.
There is no way you should have shot to the surface at that depth! Maybe from 30 feet or so if under weighted and using an aluminum tank. I can't wait to see what the experts have to say on this one.
Get Wet!

If you are diving on vacations as you mentioned, it is likely you are diving with a divemaster in the water. I would suggest you ask him to bring a few extra pounds with him in case you need them. That is all part of the job for many divemasters. Also, I would suggest that each vacation you should get in the water and do a check out dive before getting on the boat or diving to any great depth. At the resort where I work we encourage people to go out from shore into 20 feet and get comfy again before their first day of boat diving. Then when you are ready to end the dive, you can come to the surface and freeflow your tank down to 500psi or so (safety stop pressure), then do a weight check. Checking your weight at a little below the pressure you expect to be at on your safety stop will let you get the right amount dialled in fairly accurately.

Did the tank have a flat bottom (It's Aluminum then)? Not talking about the boot but the actual metal bottom.
What was the volume of the tank?
PSI is completely irrelevant because 700psi in a St 72 is completely different from 700 psi in a Al 50, and so on with other tanks.

I think you're risking a lot going that deep on your first certified dive.
The recreation depth limit for NAUI Basic OW is 60ft.

Not knowing what volume your tank held and going that deep is definitely not wise.

Back to your question,
For comparison:
I wear a farmer john 2 piece suit (equates to 14mm on the chest).
With this set up, I wear 16lbs with a St 72. I'm 5'6" 110lbs, hardly any fat on me.

With an Al 63 I wear 20lbs
Al 80 I wear 22lbs.

Also might want to use another term instead of solo diver, people may jump to conclusions here if they see that. I know I did until I read your explanation ;D

Glad you're ok though . Plan your dive, dive your plan, and dive safe.

Edit:
From the post you made as I was typing I'm understanding that you didn't deflate your BC while ascending, am I correct?

As a general rule you should ascend with your hands on your gauge and inflator. Only deflate on ascent, never inflate.
You should deflate to control your ascent while kicking to the surface.
And don't exceed a 30ft/min ascent rate. If your diving with a computer get used to the ascent rate indicator.

Just for curiosity's sake. Can you tell me where your were certified, how long your cert class was and what it consisted of? (ie. # lectures and pools sessions)

If you are diving on vacations as you mentioned, it is likely you are diving with a divemaster in the water. I would suggest you ask him to bring a few extra pounds with him in case you need them. That is all part of the job for many divemasters. Also, I would suggest that each vacation you should get in the water and do a check out dive before getting on the boat or diving to any great depth. At the resort where I work we encourage people to go out from shore into 20 feet and get comfy again before their first day of boat diving. Then when you are ready to end the dive, you can come to the surface and freeflow your tank down to 500psi or so (safety stop pressure), then do a weight check. Checking your weight at a little below the pressure you expect to be at on your safety stop will let you get the right amount dialled in fairly accurately.
Thank you - sound advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom