Just arrived in Phillipines..need help deciding where to head first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaztheman45

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Me and my GF just arrived in the Philippines a few days ago and we are currently in Banaue enjoying the mountains for a few days. Now I'm trying to decide where to go to get the most out of my diving dollar. I've been doing lots of research on this board over the last several months but now that I'm actually here I'm having a hard time deciding where to go. We are here until March 12 and we would like to hit as many good places as we can. Just seeing what recommendations I might be able to dig up from you kind folks. Any info would be very helpful. Feel free to post here or shoot me a PM. Also we would love to meet up with some locals or other travelers to enjoy some awesome diving.
Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

After you are finished looking at the beautiful rice terraces and breath taking mountain views, start your adventure in PG. This will get you into the diving swing. From there....head south.....something like Malapascua.....throw away your passport......loose the shoes.....have a great time

Anilao and Puerto Galera are both a two hour drive south of Manila. Puerto Galera is an additional 45 min boat ride. Both are great for diving. Sabang beach has a bit of night-life with Little LaLaguna beach nearby is a bit more quiet. There is also Big LaLaguna beach and Coco beach. Sabang and little LaLaguna have more dive opportunities.
You are near Subic bay at the momnent, and there are some decent wrecks available!
Dumagete, Moalboa, Malapascua, Panglao are a flight away from Manila.
Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers
Planet Dive
Moalboal | Kasai Village Beach Resort
Isis Bungalows - Welcome to Isis Bungalows
http://www.pura-vida.ph/index.html
So many places, so little time!!

Don't waste any time at Baguio go to Subic Bay which is the nearest.
Fly from Clark to Cebu and enjoy the diving in Visayas.

Head to the Visayas. Its easy and cheap to travel around so you can see a few places. Start in Cebu as thats the biggest place to get to and consider Malapascuar and/or Marlboal. I've been looking at taking a holiday there myself and both seem expensive but they are big diving destinations.

The take a ferry to Dumaguete and dive Apo Island. Again, not cheap as on top of accommodation and diving there's a hefty marine park fee but it is a 'must see.'

From Dumaguette come to Bohol. Alona is tourist central but good for a lively night. Diving is okay, nice but many divers. Do Balicasag. I think dive prices tend to be around Php 1200 with no equipment but I've only been there in low season.

Come to us in Anda (take a bus, we're just over an hour from the Panglao turnoff). Same diving as Alona but less tourists - quiet white beaches, very relaxing. Our dive prices work out around Php 1200 without equipment.

While in Bohol you have the Chocolate Hills, Tarsiers, Laboc river, lots of caev tours etc so there's more than diving.

From here you can either get to Jagna by bus in 45 minutes and take a ferry to Camigiun or a bus to Ubay and get to Southern Leyte or go back to Tagbilaran (the capital of Bohol) and head to Sijihor.

If you've got a few months that gives you lots of diving and different places and the travel in between is fairly cheap and easy.

I've (hopefullly - bear with me its my first attempt to upload an attachment) attached a map of Bohol and its various connections complete with ferry details.

Attachments

• Bohol map.pdf
    322.8 KB · Views: 452
I worked as a diver in the Visayas for a while. I love the Visayas, and I found some great diving in all of the places listed above. I also absolutely love the beach at Boracay, although the diving is not so hot. Moalboal was only Ok. Apo was good, if a litle limited and tough to access. Leyte was wild and remote, and had some great dives. Puerto Galera definitely had some great diving, ut the scene there is a little over the top. Pretty close to Manila, tho. Bohol had a couple of great dives, but its kinda hard to get to. Same with Cabilao. I did really enjoy Palnglao, more than once. There was another one, too. Forget the name. Where teh 6-gills come up. Pretty good. If you want really close to Manila, I gotta tell ya, I loved Anilao! A bus ride from Manila, and I did some great dives. Even the house reef shore dive was excellent. Only regrets: Never made it to Tubbataha...

For the OP:

What are your diving preferences?
How long do you like to stay in one location?
Budget and accomodation preferences?
What sort of 'vibe' do you like?

Here's an ideal: you can hit Subic Bay on your return from Banaue. 1-2 days there to dive the amazing ship wrecks. Back to Manila, then fly over to Cebu and hit Malapascua, Moalboal and Bohol (bus/ferry travel between those locations). Back to Manila, then finish off with some diving in Anilao. Palawan is another nice destination, if you have time - do the 'Underground River' near Puerto Princesa and dive at Coron (need another flight to get there).

If you're in Manila...post a 'Meet Up' thread here on PPD. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom