bleomycin and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
well after my last treatment my doctor decided to make me aware that i may never dive again not just i don't need to dive for a year or so.. i have contacted allot of doctors who specialize in diving/meds and DAN. but havent been to sucesful with getting much info other than i didn't realize and wasn't told that it was very serious affects.

Has anyone dove after bleo treatment ?
If you have what was the affects?

I received 4 doses over almost 5 months. I will not be getting anymore. I have had them do pulmonary test. They did one before my treatment ever started and after i told them that I was told to get another they finally done it . I kinda believe they wanted me to get the treatments before i realized it would affect my diving and could back out they were successful i guess.

From what i can tell my lung test have had no c'ange before or after the treatments numbers all vary 1-2% up or down. was told this was normal..

I've been diving for the past 5 years and its became my life even threw treatments and all this there hasn't been more than 2 or 3 days pass that I've not be at the local quarry. I haven't dove since February done some snorkeling a couple times.
Been coming close to going crazy being out of the water.

and the doctors just now are deciding that it might have been important to tell me this before hand??

What I've got out of most of the doctors is if i dive I'm basically volunteering myself as a test hamster. Might end up here before long.

thanks for any info i can get. Adam

Hi Adam,

There are multiple issues to be considered in the cancer patient who wishes to dive, and much depends upon the particulars of the individual case. However, since the inquiry asks specifically only about diving post-bleomycin, this will be the focus of the reply.

There is a number anticancer medications that can contribute to scarring of lung tissue, and bleomycin is probably the most harmful in this regard. As such, before considering a return to SCUBA full pulmonary function testing should be within normal limits, as should a high resolution CT of the lungs.

Even if the above assessments prove negative, concern remains as some individuals with a history of treatment with this drug have experienced pneumonitis and additional scarring of lung tissue when exposed to substantially elevated concentrations of O2. And of course elevated partial pressures of O2 are inherent in SCUBA.

However, recent research suggests that this post-blemmycin period of increased risk seems to be time-limited. The diver and his physician might find the following journal article informative:

“The Lancet Oncology, Volume 8, Issue 11, Pages 954 - 955, November 2007

Bleomycin and scuba diving: where is the harm?

Original Text Ronald de Wit a, Stefan Sleijfer a, Stan B Kaye b, Alan Horwich b, Ben Mead c, Dirk T Sleijfer d, Gerrit Stoter a

Testicular cancer is the most frequent malignant disease in men aged 15—40 years. Due to its sensitivity to chemotherapeutic drugs, most patients, including those with widespread metastatic disease, can now be cured. Bleomycin is an essential component of the most effective chemotherapy regimen for testicular cancer—ie, bleomycin, etoposide, and cisplatin [BEP].1 However, bleomycin is feared for its induction of bleomycin-induced pneumonitis (BIP), which is sometimes fatal.2 After reports in the 1980s of perioperative complications that were ascribed to bleomycin, high inspired-oxygen fractions during anaesthesia were avoided, as were high inspired-oxygen fractions under hyperbaric circumstances, such as scuba diving. Such restrictions are no longer necessary, but dive medics and diving organisations still maintain this conservative approach. Because recreational scuba diving is increasingly popular, this issue has had an effect on thousands of young men who are faced with conflicting opinions, with many choosing the safest option of not resuming diving after treatment.

The risk of BIP during, or shortly, after treatment is correlated with age above 40 years, smoking, renal-function impairment, and the cumulative dose of bleomycin—a total dose less then 300 mg rarely causes BIP, whereas the risk increases when the cumulative dose exceeds 400 mg.2 After establishment of BEP as the most effective regimen for testicular cancer in the 1980s, for more than a decade most patients received a total of four cycles of BEP, to achieve a cumulative dose of 360 mg of bleomycin. Recently, however, randomised controlled clinical trials have shown that for most patients with metastatic testicular cancer, three cycles of BEP (270 mg bleomycin) is sufficient, resulting in a cure rate of over 90%.3, 4 In these patients, the frequency of bleomycin-related death has become as rare as 0•2%.3 The full regimen of four cycles of BEP has remained standard treatment for intermediate and poor-prognosis testicular cancer. However, findings from three randomised controlled studies in the 1990s, involving 354 patients treated with four cycles of BEP, showed that bleomycin-related death occured in less than 1% of patients, even with a 360 mg total dose.1, 5, 6 Additionally, although tests of pulmonary function during or shortly after the completion of four BEP cycles have shown abnormalities in about 25% of patients, clinical sequelae are infrequent and these changes are mostly reversible within 1—2 years, especially in non-smokers.1, 2, 7

Because bleomycin is assumed to induce toxic effects partly by the induction of free radicals, giving high inspired-oxygen fractions to patients treated with bleomycin might be considered hazardous.2 In animal studies, a relation between an increased risk of BIP or fibrosis and concomitant oxygen supplementation has been shown during actual bleomycin exposure. By contrast, for humans treated with bleomycin, no evidence for such a relation exists. In the 1980s, anecdotal findings of perioperative pulmonary complications were attributed to BIP, elicited by high inspired-oxygen fractions during surgery.8 On the basis of these case reports, the use of oxygen supplementation was discouraged after any bleomycin treatment.

Nowadays, such pulmonary symptoms are categorised as adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), and the paradigm of avoiding high inspired-oxygen fractions after previous bleomycin has been largely abandoned.2, 9 Intravenous fluid management, including transfusion, is recognised as a crucial factor that affects postoperative pulmonary morbidity, including the development of ARDS. In a study of 77 patients with advanced testicular cancer who had a total of 97 operations to resect residual tumours a mean of 6&#8226;4 months after bleomycin-containing chemotherapy (mean cumulative dose as high as 437 mg), the importance of preoperative pulmonary status, anaesthesia time, fraction of inspired oxygen, fluid balance, bleomycin dose, oxygen saturation problems, and pulmonary symptoms was examined.9 The length of surgery and time under anaesthesia, amount of blood transfused, estimated blood loss, fluid balance, and type of fluids given were significant predictors of postoperative oxygen-saturation problems in a univariate analysis (p<0&#8226;0001), as was preoperative forced vital capacity (p=0&#8226;012). In a multivariate analysis only the amount of blood transfused, preoperative forced vital capacity, and surgical procedure time remained significant. Increased intraoperative fractional inspired-oxygen was not significant in either analysis, prompting the authors to conclude that perioperative oxygen restriction in patients treated with bleomycin is not necessary.9

Although a detrimental effect of high inspired-oxygen fractions within days or weeks after bleomycin exposure cannot be excluded, the findings of the above study, and the knowledge that most bleomycin is eliminated from the body within 24 hours after administration, provides little reason to withhold optimum anaesthesia from a patient. Therefore, patients can receive appropriate inspired-oxygen fractions several months after, and especially more than 6 months after their last exposure to bleomycin.2, 9

Scuba diving with pressurised normal air (FiO2: 21%), or enriched air (FiO2: 21&#8212;40%) is increasingly popular in young men. After publication in the 1980s of the anecdotal findings of pulmonary complications being attributed to high inspired-oxygen fractions, physicians experienced in hyperbaric medicine and diving medical organisations advised patients against scuba diving after bleomycin treatment. Even if pressurised normal air is used, the increased underwater pressure increases the inspired-oxygen fraction, because the partial inspiratory oxygen pressure is a function of the fractional concentration of inspired oxygen, the ambient pressure, and the partial pressure of water vapour in humidified gas.10 Therefore, the partial pressure of oxygen in the inspired (compressed) air is a direct function of the depth of the dive. For example, at a dive depth of 20 metres (about 3 atmospheres total pressure), the partial pressure of inspired oxygen in a scuba diver who is breathing compressed air is 0&#8226;63 atmospheres, which is equivalent to breathing 63% oxygen on the surface. Although these computations are mathematically correct, and the conservative approach to refrain from further scuba diving might have been appropriate in the 1980s and 1990s, recent clinical data and current anaesthesiology practices warrant revision of this dogma.

During the past 20 years, we have been the lead investigators in Europe for the study of patients with metastatic testicular cancer, through the frameworks of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer and the UK Medical Research Council. We have been involved in the treatment of several thousands of patients with metastatic testicular cancer, many of whom, especially during the past decade, were recreational scuba divers. On the basis of our recommendations, many of our previous patients have resumed scuba diving without complications. Several of these people, whom we have followed-up for 5 to 10 years, are men who dive almost daily (eg, diving instructors), use enriched air, or who dive at the maximum depth of 40 metres for recreational diving. We have never seen or heard of any late-onset BIP or fibrosis, or of barotrauma in these people. Although internet searches (including PubMed and Google) for complications associated with diving (using the keywords &#8220;scuba diving&#8221; with &#8220;medical conditions&#8221;, &#8220;pulmonary diseases&#8221;, or &#8220;barotrauma&#8221:wink: produced over 6000 results, none were even remotely ascribed to previous bleomycin exposure.

We strongly believe that resuming scuba diving 6&#8212;12 months after an uncomplicated series of three or four cycles of BEP is completely acceptable. Caution should only remain for patients who develop clinical signs of pulmonary-function impairment during or shortly after bleomycin treatment. We deem the conservative opinions of many physicians and diving organisations about recreational diving after bleomycin treatment as unnecessary&#8212;opinions that we hope to change. Young men affected by testicular cancer should be able to undertake their normal daily life as fully as possibly after treatment with bleomycin.

The authors declared no conflicts of interest.

References

1 De Wit R, Stoter G, Kaye SB, et al. The importance of bleomycin in combination chemotherapy for good prognosis testicular non-seminoma: a randomized study of the EORTC Genitourinary Tract Cancer Cooperative Group. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 1837-1843. PubMed
2 Sleijfer S. Bleomycin-induced pneumonitis. Chest 2001; 120: 617-624. CrossRef | PubMed
3 De Wit R, Roberts T, Wilkinson PM, et al. Equivalence of three or four cycles of bleomycin, etoposide, and cisplatin chemotherapy and of a 3- or 5-day schedule in good-prognosis germ-cell cancer: a randomized study of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Genitourinary Tract Cancer Cooperative Group and the Medical Research Council. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 1629-1640. PubMed
4 Horwich A, Sleijfer DT, Fosså SD, et al. Randomized trial of bleomycin, etoposide, and cisplatin compared with bleomycin, etoposide, and carboplatin in good-prognosis metastatic nonseminomatous germ cell cancer: a Multiinstitutional Medical Research Council/European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Trial. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 1844-1852. PubMed
5 De Wit R, Stoter G, Sleijfer DT, et al. Four cycles of BEP versus an alternating regimen of PVB and BEP in patients with poor prognosis metastatic testicular non-seminoma; a randomized study of the EORTC Genitourinary Tract Cancer Cooperative Group. Brit J Cancer 1995; 71: 1311-1314. PubMed
6 De Wit R, Stoter G, Sleijfer DT, et al. Four cycles of BEP versus four cycles of VIP in patients with intermediate-prognosis metastatic testicular non-seminoma; a randomised study of the EIRTC Genitourinary Tract Cancer Cooperative group. Brit J Cancer 1998; 78: 828-832. PubMed
7 Van Barneveld PW, Sleijfer DT, van der Mark TW, et al. Natural course of bleomycin-induced pneumonitis. Am Rev Respir Dis 1987; 135: 48-51. PubMed
8 Gilson AJ, Sahn SA. Reactivation of bleomycin lung toxicity following oxygen administration. Chest 1985; 88: 304-306. CrossRef | PubMed
9 Donat SM, Levy DA. Bleomycin associated pulmonary toxicity: is perioperative oxygen restriction necessary?. J Urol 1998; 160: 1347-1352. CrossRef | PubMed
10 Bennett PB. Mixed gas and oxygen diving. In: Miller JW, ed. NOAA Diving Manual. Washington DC: Government Printing Office, 1979. section 11-1-11-13. a Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, Netherlands&#8221;

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

this is more the info i was looking for thanks for your time and help i received my last dose of bleo June 1st. I plan on hitting the water for are local January 1st dive as long as I'm doing good on my lung tests that i finally convinced the doctors to do because diving is the biggest part of my life. i will be finding out exactly how much bleo i received

Hope it works out. I know how much I'd hate to give up SCUBA.

Regards,

DocV

Hi Adam,
A case study with a Navy diver:

Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/5205

Our procedure for our clinical hyperbaric patients who are ACTIVELY receiving bleomycin is to ensure that their PFTs remain within normal limits by repeatedly testing them during the course of their treatments. Those who have had bleomycin in the past and have good PFTs are treated normally and we haven't experienced any ill effects. The short answer is that you should be fine to return to diving. Of course, the standard caveat applies: nobody can clear you to dive via the internet. The overall news for you is encouraging, but I'd recommend that you be evaluated by a board-certified diving physician who can actually lay eyes on you and your medical records. Linked below is the current list of UHMS-certified diving medical examiners.
Diving Medical Examiners
Good luck,
DDM

I had bleomycin as part of the ABVD treatment for Hodgin's Lymphoma in 1989. Despite having my pulmonary function drop to the point I was switched to an alternate treatment, my lungs went back to normal function and I was cleared for diving within a year. I have since done more diving of every kind than I had before the treatment, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
I'm not a doctor and can't give you stats and such, but as a personal testamonial, it can be done.
Stay strong, follow your doctor's advice, and you'll be back at it before you know it.

I had four cycles of chemo from 10/09 to 3/10 with bleomycin each time. Subsequent to that I had surgery to remove the tumors. At the time my oncologist said the prevailing wisdom was having bleo = no diving. However, I have had follow-ups with her(cancer free so far) and she has changed her mind. She researched the topic a bit further and found info that if you have had no decreased lung functioning during your PFTs while on chemo/bleo, diving can be an option. Right now I have scheduled a new PFT for a month from now and if the results are normal, I will probably try some diving this summer. I also might get checked out by one of the UHMS doctors on the list someone else posted. Couldn't hurt.

Jimmie O
Norton, MA

Had the PFT yesterday at Dana-Farber in Boston and everything was completely normal. In fact, all the data from the test indicated I was over 100% of the pre-test predictions. Also, all my lung functions went up by double digit percentages from my last PFT almost a year ago. MD will review the PFT findings but I should be good to go. Still would like to see one of those MDs from the above list.

LobstaMan/Jimmie O

Back
Top Bottom