Purchasing a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikey3091

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm currently looking to purchase a boat and need some feedback. The boat I have in mind is an Aquasport 215 with a 150 Evinrude. It has low hrs and has been well maintained, but I'm a little concerned with the max weight limit of 1000 lbs. If I've calculated it correctly, 4 divers, an observer and equipment (8 tanks) will put me 200 lbs over the limit. Also, I'm not sure that the 150 is enough power. Any of you guys/gals have any experience with a similar boat? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

No experience with that particular boat. But we had a 21' bay boat with a 200 that pushed it 50mph. So if you are loading the boat heavy the 150 could be underpowered depending on the motor.

Don't know that boat, but we have a 21' Winner with a 175 hp outboard, and it's pretty maxed out with four divers and two tanks each, and can be hard to get up on plane on the way home (when there is a little extra water on board).

Not just the motor, the boat may be very unstable. Mine is rated to 8 passengers / 1400lbs, it has enough power (215HP) but 3 divers plus an observer is about the limit of what I want to do. Even that is crowed.

I have overloaded it a bit on a pleasure ride with 8 big people, maybe 200lbs over with gear and and it behaved like a pig, bad enough I had everyone put on their life jackets. Not something I will repeat.

Personally prefer mercury motor's but as you have added It ddefinetly seems the boat would be under powered. If you plan on doing any offshore diving would really need more power. If it's lake/bay's etc you will probably be ok. But due to the weight and lack of power you will be burning more fuel as it will have to run a lot harder to keep up the speed. At minum I would think you would want tleast 200HP If feasible I would look into a 250-300 verado.

Hmm. We are running a 14ft Zodiac with 30hp and with 4 divers and doubles haven't had a problem. No disrespect but what is everyone doing that they neEd 200 hp for 4 divers? In Egypt we had 8 divers and a driver with 40hp on a similar rig.

Perhaps I could recommend this solution for the sb crowd:
boat.jpg

Hmm. We are running a 14ft Zodiac with 30hp and with 4 divers and doubles haven't had a problem. No disrespect but what is everyone doing that they neEd 200 hp for 4 divers? In Egypt we had 8 divers and a driver with 40hp on a similar rig.

It all depends on how fast and how far you want to go.

So, how fast does your 30HP Zodiac go with 4 divers + doubles? Should I break out the high-speed camera or a radar gun? Or should I though a lines off the stern with knots tied every so often and count like in the old sailing days?

In Egypt we had 8 divers and a driver with 40hp on a similar rig.

In Cairo you also have 20 million or so people living in a city that was meant for only 4 million people. You all like to live very close to each other. :D

Back
Top Bottom