u-853 penetration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are some other charter boats that go to the 853? I would like to go back this season but can only go on sundays. Atlantis doesn't have any sunday charters to the 853 for the rest of the season or I would definatlly use them again. Any suggestions? preferably a boat out of RI or CT. I think Long island is a little far but sugestions for boats from there are ok too. Thanks, Bell47

Giant Stride Dive shop in Warwick, RI schedules several charters a season to the 853 aboard Canned Air and the Priority Too. The next one is Jul. 18, 2010 - U853/Heroine Wreck Charter. The owner of the shop, Red, has also reserved two Sundays in both September and October but hasn't decided which wrecks will be dove yet. More info here: Giant Stride Dive Shop · Calendar of Events

Thanks, I'll check them out.

A few days ago I got back onto the 853 with my digital camera. The vis wasn’t great at about 12 feet with a lot of particles in the column, The vis inside wasn’t much better but I did get a few shots that might help you understand what you may see.

A diver had been up forward into the torpedo room so there are no shots fro there, but this is the cooks stove:

Stove2copy.jpg

The control room was just about the same, but it got better in the engine room, here is the engine:

Enginecopy.jpg

Here is one of the fuel lines I wrote about, They are on both sides and run horizontally:

Enginefuellinescopy.jpg

Up top of the engine are the remains of the valve rockers:

EngineRockerscopy.jpg

Here is the rectangular hatch from the diesel engine room into the Electrical motor room:

AftEngineRoomHatchcopy.jpg

And here are the after port and starboard torpedo tubes:

AftTorpedoStbdcopy.jpg

AftTorpedoPortcopy.jpg

What is the ribbed hose that is in the last picture? There is a bunch of it in the forward blast hole. Looks like modern 2 inch corrugated hose.

What is the ribbed hose that is in the last picture? There is a bunch of it in the forward blast hole. Looks like modern 2 inch corrugated hose.

You will find it all through the wreck. Most likely used for low pressure air and water.

We dove it again last sunday. This time we used Priority fishing charters from Naragansett. I WILL be using them again. Smaller boat but fantastic service. I did the "Grand Tour" from the forward torpedo hatch back to the aft blast hole. I went as slowly as I could stand to go and it took about 12 minutes. I stayed on the wreck 40 minutes just touring around. What a great dive site.

Here's a little video that my friend posted on youtube of our dive. This is me going through the wreck from the forward torpedo loading hatch aft. This was the dive I posted about above.

YouTube - U853 Dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom