spearfishing large fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

josh37

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey every one im kinda new to spear fish (I have used the the pole spear I made), but I was wondering whats the largest fish one is capable to land(meaning shoot and get it to the boat/shore). I seen on here some one got a 100lbs+ tuna and some one els got a 225LB tuna(I don't know if they speared them or rod and reel). I am just wondering if any one had some more info for me.

You can spear whatever you want, you just have to make sure that if you don't want to loose your gun/pole you have to have it secured to the boat/shore/you somehow.

CAUTION: if you are securing it to yourself you need to have a quick release to make sure the fish doesn't take you deeper than you want to go.

If you have a reel that hooks the spear to the boat then you can shoot the fish and not have to worry about bringing it up till you are up to the surface and even in your boat.

My question is what is the largest fish you can shoot, with out it dragging you all over the lake/ocean? with out being secured to a boat or any thing

I try to draw the line at anything bigger than an Orca.. or a large Narwhal. Anything up to either of those, you should be OK.

My question is what is the largest fish you can shoot, with out it dragging you all over the lake/ocean? with out being secured to a boat or any thing

Terry Mas has a good book out on blue water hunting. A lot of the hunters that go after large fish have a line and float attached to the spear. The fish takes off dragging the float. There is a great book for large fish hunting by Terry Mas

http://www.freedive.net/Bluewater.htm

His book is filled with once in a lifetime photos. The amount of time he must spend in the water to get these photos has to be huge.

You can spear whatever you want, you just have to make sure that if you don't want to loose your gun/pole you have to have it secured to the boat/shore/you somehow.

CAUTION: if you are securing it to yourself you need to have a quick release to make sure the fish doesn't take you deeper than you want to go.

If you have a reel that hooks the spear to the boat then you can shoot the fish and not have to worry about bringing it up till you are up to the surface and even in your boat.

Everything in this post is pretty much wrong. You can not spear anything you want.

You do not need to secure a gun to a boat or to shore.

And few people secure a gun to themselves.

This site shows reords for breathhold divers who land the fish without assistance
IUSA Twentieth Century Records

You can shoot them as big as you want as long as you hit the stone bullseye shot! If you don't make a kill shot, you very well might end up losing some gear.

YOU WILL LEARN BY DOING THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO IS BITE OFF MORE THAN YOU CAN CHEW.GO UP IN SIZE AS YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE.100LBS IS VERY POSIABLE WITH SKILL AND RIGHT EQUIPMENT.A 20LBER CAN KILL YOU SAFTEY IS KEY. YOUTUBE SEARCH SPEARGUN RIDING RIG BEST WAY TO GO IF YOU WANT TO HOLD ON TO YOUR FISH.GOOD LUCK AND BECAREFUL. USE YOUR HEAD NO FISH IS WORTH YOUR LIFE. :no: BUCK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom