Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stabilo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm looking to buy my first dc and want something that will take me through to entry level cave diving.

I have the Tusa dc hunter in mind but it doesn't have the ability to switch gases underwater. Is this an important feature?

Not sure about the Aussy cave diving levels...

All the intro level US cave courses do not allow any decompression diving and your limited to just back gas - ie, you aren't allowed to swap gasses.

That being said, aim higher, so you don't have to buy another computer later on. Its not an important feature for Intro Cave(atleast in the US), its important for other tech classes, so go ahead and get something with multiple gasses.

Hi everybody,
I have the Tusa dc hunter in mind but it doesn't have the ability to switch gases underwater.

I'm 99% sure you are mistaken about that. The Tusa is a DiveRite Duo clone and it CAN switch gases underwater. I used to own one .

Pretty much a perfect cave diving computer for non trimix dives.

Get yourself a cheap uwatec bottom timer and spend the saved cash on diving/ training. A computer isn't needed at all, really.

Not sure about the Aussy cave diving levels...

All the intro level US cave courses do not allow any decompression diving and your limited to just back gas - ie, you aren't allowed to swap gasses.

In the main Australian agency, decompression is allowed from Cavern level, if you have training from other agencies. They don't teach decompression so it depends on your other certifications if you can do decompression diving, diving with nitrox, trimix or CCR.

I have a Tec2g, simple and cheap. I don't think the ability to switch gases is important (though the Tec2g will) because I use it in gauge mode for deco diving and have my plans made beforehand.

The Tusa dc hunter is only $220 so I thought it was pretty cheap for what it does. And it could be used a bottom timer in gauge mode right?
I checked the manual and bugman is right it does have the ability to switch gases.

It doesn't have a deep stop function though. I'm not sure how important that is either. I see a lot of other computers have it though.

I don't know what's available in your area, but Suunto has at least the HelO2, Vytech, Vyper Air that all do multiple gasses. The Oceanic Veo 3.0 does & Dive Rite's Trio & Trimix computers. Perhaps not in the price range you're looking for, but they are out there.

Deep stops are very easy to add to your dive profile by mental calculation. Of course, they won't be credited by the computer algorythm, but that in itself could be seen as a form of conservatism.

The deep stop is simply the mid-point between bottom depth and the first 'mandatory' stop.

i.e. for a 40m/130ft recreational dive, counting the safety stop as 'mandatory';
(130ft-20ft) /2 + 20ft= 75ft
(40m-5m) / 2 + 5m = 22.5m

If the calculated deep stop is more than 30ft from your first 'mandatory' stop, you can add durther deep stops at the midpoints, using the same calculation.
First Deep stop - 'Mandatory stop' / 2 + depth of first mandatory stop

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I'm looking to buy my first dc and want something that will take me through to entry level cave diving.

I have the Tusa dc hunter in mind but it doesn't have the ability to switch gases underwater. Is this an important feature?

I've just ordered an OSTC MkII.
The distributor in Oz is HeinrichsWeikamp
Read up the reviews about it, I'm looking forward to getting mine :D

Deep stops are very easy to add to your dive profile by mental calculation. Of course, they won't be credited by the computer algorythm, but that in itself could be seen as a form of conservatism.

The deep stop is simply the mid-point between bottom depth and the first 'mandatory' stop.

i.e. for a 40m/130ft recreational dive, counting the safety stop as 'mandatory';
(130ft-20ft) /2 = 55ft
(40m-5m) / 2 = 17.5m

If the calculated deep stop is more than 30ft from your first 'mandatory' stop, you can add durther deep stops at the midpoints, using the same calculation.
First Deep stop - 'Mandatory stop' / 2

Interesting presentation by Bruce Weinke shows adding deep stops in this manner may not have the benefit we think it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom