Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking GEO - any reason for the VEO preference? I liked that the GEO doubles as a watch. The display is still large enought to read with middle aged eyes. Just curious.

I have the VEO and my husband has the GEO. The GEO display is smaller and generally more complicated than my GEO-- I am pretty happy with the the VEO myself.

New to diving and trying to avoid mortgaging the house. I understand that. Cressi Archimede II is a two gas computer. Air or Nitrox. First gas can be 21% - 50% and the second gas can be 21% - 99% changeable during the dive for deco. I have purchased two of these (one for me and one for my wife) from an authorized Cressi dealer online and the wrist model is only $259. Three large easy to use buttons with a BACKLIGHT. I suggest that no matter what model you end up getting make sure you purchase from an authorized dealer. That way the company will honor the warranty. A friend of mine just got their Vyper relaced after 4.5 years free of charge. BTW...I haven't seen new Vyper in your price range. That's the one I was looking at first. They run around $400 (from an authorized dealer). I hope this helps a little. I've been spending cash for a couple of months now so I understand where you're coming from.

You choose the appropriate gas for the depth and duration that you plan to dive for.

The oxygen content of a gas mix will determine its 'Maximum Operating Depth' (MOD), due to the risk of oxygen toxicity (Ox-Tox) at elevated partial pressures (pp).

Increasing the oxygen content of air will increase your No-Deco Limit (NDL) because you are replacing nitrogen (the inert gas responsible for DCS) with oxygen (which doesn't cause DCS because it is metabolised by the body). The higher the percentage of oxygen, the less nitrogen is absorbed by your body. However, the higher the percentage of oxygen, the shallower you have to stay due to Ox-Tox risks.

On deeper dives, the nitrogen content of the gas also contribute to Inert Gas Narcosis. Narcosis is the anasthetic property of certain gasses at elevated partial pressures. Nitrogen Narcosis is a debilitating mental impairment that causes considerable danger to the diver.

To prevent/minimise the onset of Inert Gas Narcosis, divers can utilise Helium within their gas mix. Helium causes little or no narcosis within diveable depths. The addition of helium to a gas mix replaces nitrogen and/or oxygen. The exact mix/mixes of the gas/gasses used is determined by the depth/s that the diver plans to operate at.

Different agencies advocate using helium beyond varied depths. Typically, for cave diving, it is essential beyond 30-50m depth.

looking for a decent tri mix capable computer on a paupers budget, any suggestions?

OSTC Mk.2

HW

US-disclaimer: I'm not a trimix diver. I really don't know anything. The computer will probably die, and you too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom