Diving Hideaway in Turks and Caicos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Euroboy_DC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good afternoon!

My girlfriend and I are looking into a trip to T&C in late spring/early summer. Via padi.com and general Googling we have found the likely dive shops to talk to. But what I'd really like to find is a little hideaway on the beach for the times spent above the surface.

Do any of you who have dived T&C have any recommendations for non-resort/non-chain hotels down there? We're very self-sufficient and would do our own cooking, etc. So a beach-front privately-owned residence that can be rented would be excellent.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

It has been since 2005, but my wife and I had a great experience with Harbour Club Villas and Flamingo Divers D.O. The property was walking distance up from dive op., and they loaned out kayaks, had a pool, grills, and good clean, comfortable rooms with kitchens at decent price. T&C was a really nice, low hassle trip with great diving and relaxation on the beach.

I have a friend who is an Instructor on GT, if you would like I can get you some contact info for him, he can probably get you some good info.

It has been since 2005, but my wife and I had a great experience with Harbour Club Villas and Flamingo Divers D.O. The property was walking distance up from dive op., and they loaned out kayaks, had a pool, grills, and good clean, comfortable rooms with kitchens at decent price. T&C was a really nice, low hassle trip with great diving and relaxation on the beach.

I will second this. We were there last year in June and stayed ahd HCV and dived with Flamingo. Nice and private, nice and quiet.

We really enjoyed Ocean Club West on Provo. They have a dive operator on-site but just a short walk across the street is Dive Provo, which is first-class. I'd go back to Ocean Club West and dive with Dive Provo anytime.

I just got certified back in November and have been trolling learning about dive destinations. We have done the resort course in Turks and thus have limited diving experience in Turks. However, we have been there 6 times and have stayed at different places each time so can offer some good suggestions.

First, crime is out of hand on the island and break ins at villas is very common: check out the archives of the local paper at: tcweeklynews.comor go check out Tripadvisor and look at theri forum for recent villa crime.

With that said, I'd avoid villas as there are some real nice smaller resorts and almost all resorts include are condos with kitchens, washer/dryers, etc. We had a great stay 2 years ago at a small resort (approx 20 units) called the Turks and Caicos Club. Another property that is a little bigger but not huge is Villa Renaisance (stayed there 4 years ago). If you have add't questions, let me know.

For a nice small villa with your own kitchen I would stay at the Renaisance. You do have to be aware of the crime element. Don't flash jewelry, camera or any valuables and make sure you lock your doors. The diving is just grand!

If you want to try one of the outer islands, you can dive on Salt Cay which is about 8 miles south of Grand Turk. Salt Cay Divers is a good operation. You can stay at the Tradewinds (which is a modest motel owned by Salt Cay Divers) or you can rent a house on the island. There are a number of restaurants on the island or Debbie at Salt Cay Divers will arrange to have a selection of food for you to cook on your own if you give her a list (there is stuff on Grand Turk but things on Salt Cay are pretty limited). Salt Cay is not for everyone. It has a population of something like 70 people. When I was there, I think I met more than half of them. The diving there tends to be wall diving like Grand Turk.

Back
Top Bottom