silica gel packs S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantababe

Contributor
Reaction score
hi
can you guys tell me what silica gel packs youre using in your recsea housings [i have the S95] nemrod mentioned in one thread bout MM tube? where do i get them from? all the ones i have for previous cameras are too big even the "leak insure" one's are :(

MM = Moisture Muncher. They are available from B&H, Backscatter and maybe your dive shop. I recharge the tubes in Damp Rid to get them blue again. And I buy at least one new bag every year. I also store them in their bag inside a zip lock bag.

I use Moisture Munchers in my camera housing and strobe and then use rechargeable (oven) silica packs in the case for storage.

ive had a quick look and cant seem to find the size that fit the housing needs to be 40 x 20 mm which is pretty small...any suggestions?

The standard Moisture Muncher tubes fit perfectly into the front right hand side of the FIX (and I assume Recsea) housings. It is as if the channel there was made for them. The small size silica packs will fit there also. Since the housing is aluminum and the S90 does not seem to run especially hot, I have had zero fogging issues.

These are the ones I am using:

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/accessories/moisture_munchers.html

http://www.amazon.com/Sealife-Small-Moisture-muncher-capsules/dp/B0000DCW2V

Moisture Muncher Moisture Muncher 1.5g Crystal Capsules 10-Pack

http://shopper.cnet.com/home-entertainment/sealife-sl911-moisture-muncher/4014-6449_9-31278495.html

They are available many places including most retail dive stores. They can be rejuvenated many times by placing them in a tub of Moisture Rid which can be gotten at any hardware store. When depleted they turn pink, ready to go they should be bright blue. Once pink set them in the Moisture Rid and in a few days they will be bright blue and ready to go again.

Trust me, these will fit the FIX90 housing and I am pretty sure the Recsea95. The new FIX95, do not know.

James

MM = Moisture Muncher. They are available from B&H, Backscatter and maybe your dive shop. I recharge the tubes in Damp Rid to get them blue again. And I buy at least one new bag every year. I also store them in their bag inside a zip lock bag.

Good tip...has saved me a bunch of money the past year.

Another great option...

Debra at the Preservation Station started her business selling supplies for preserving documents, antiques, etc. and quickly found that she had a new customer in underwater photogs. Now she markets to them as well and enjoys great word-of-mouth business on Wetpixel, etc.:

Silica Gel Desiccant and Acid Free Tissue Paper

I use the 2 gram non-rechargeable packs myself.

Don't go to the DryCam(tm) page -- that's for scuba shops to buy in bulk. Instead, buy smaller quantities from the page referenced above and keep them in a cool and dark, dry sealed container.

Must be a hot weather humid climate thing? Here in SoCal, I've never had a single fogging incident, and have never used a desiccant in my Fix S90 housing.

Must be a hot weather humid climate thing? Here in SoCal, I've never had a single fogging incident, and have never used a desiccant in my Fix S90 housing.

Head to the Caribbean or S Pacific where the humidity is 80% or higher---& you're keeping your 'stuff' in an A/C'ed environment....

My FIX90 with MM tube installed as I have been saying, JFYI, so y'all quit yer whining:

DSCF0019.jpg

I have not really had any fogging issues with or without the tubes in my FIX, however, in plastic housings they make a huge difference and given that today's high tech toy cameras have the moisture resistance of the Wicked Witch (you recall that she melted in water) and will cease to function if you simply breath on them, I figure it is good insurance, just in case a micro drop of condensation forms and falls on the little camie and kills it dead, TU.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom