Family vacation, mostly non-divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mscott556

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My family is looking for suggestions on vacation spots for mid July. There will be nine of us in the group and the ages are mostly 50+. My sister and I are in our mid 20s and my cousin is 17. Typical group interests include: hiking, horseback riding, photography, and live music. Only two of us would be diving, unless I could convince some of the others to take a class, so non-diving activities are a must. Price is definitely a consideration. Part of the group will be leaving from south Florida and have suggested the Bahamas. I'm all for it but others are worried they won't have enough to do. Trip length will likely be 7-10 days.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...otherwise I may end up diving Lake Superior/Michigan this summer...brrr

Edit: Everyone is coming from the mainland USA so it should be one of the 48 states or surrounding areas.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... hiking? On an island, that is pretty limited.
Mid-July is going to be blazing hot on any mainland (Mexico, Belize, etc) where you would have hiking available. Ditto the horseback riding. July is very humid and buggy, too.

Hawaii would meet all those interests, but it is expensive. Lots of topside activities for non-divers.

I was going to suggest Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya area or Ambergris Caye Belize... tons to do at either destination. Roatan might work. Grand Cayman would work but it is expensive. What exactly is your budget per person, not counting airfare?

look at a few websites:
Welcome to Roatan Charter : Honduras and Belize Travel Wholesalers since 1981
Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate
playa del carmen trip planning menu
Cancun Attractions - Playa del Carmen Activities - Hidden Worlds
Cayman Islands - Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, Travel and Tourism Site

My thoughts are that the PDC Mexico trip would be least expensive and have a good variety for everyone. There are big resorts and little funky hotels, a good range of prices, and good food, Mayan ruins, jungle activities, beaches and diving. Fly into Cancun, rent a van or couple of cars and drive down. For the most bang for your buck, that would be it. Or you could stay in Cancun which has more big hotels/resorts.

Cozumel is always a good choice, but with lots of non-divers you would want to pick an all-inclusive resort or one with lots of activities. There are tours that go over to mainland PDC for the Mayan ruins, etc.
Cozumel vacation, Mexico resort hotel rates - Bay Adventures

robin:D

I agree with Robin, Playa del Carmen area in Mexico has a lot of different things to do, mayan ruins, Golf, diving, water sports of all kinds, fun bars and restaurants and the ferry is right there to take to Cozumel for a day if you want. It is also fairly inexpensive with easy access by flying into Cancun MX. Mexico is cheap.

The Bahamas are too darn expensive for everything.

Thank you for all the links Robin! Most of those look like they'll have to be solo trips once I'm finished working out here though. I haven't been able to get any budget info from the group yet but I think they'd love PDC. If I can find some cheap airfare/housing than I might be able to get them on board with that one.

I think you should take a serious look at Costa Rica.
Something for everyone.

I would also suggest Belize but that will probably require a move during the trip. Part of the time water based and part of the time jungle based. Been there and done that and its awesome!

Probably needs to be the Cancun area of Mexico - look into going to Holbox and whale shark snorkeling during that time frame. Would be something different for everyone and that's the time of year to do that activity.

Lots of thinks to do in that area of Mexico.

Look @ Dominica------you can go 24/7 there & still not see everything in a week......ooops, just read the EDIT, forget about here OP--------but in the future consider it---it's almost a National Geographic type of trip.....

Back
Top Bottom