PADI DM swim times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What is the diving scoring for the endurance swims, mask snorkel, treading water, diver tow, etc.? I think there are 5 now and each gives you a score.

What are the total points needed for a pass between the requirements?

Is the treading water without fins and equipment?

Possible of 5 for each task
12 is passing
Treading water is just you only - can use a wetsuit but your supposed to be weighted for neutral buoyancy. BTW, it is just not going underwater...just float on your back...I picked a cloud out and used my hands to turn circles. The last two minutes your HANDS must be out of the water.

Strategy - Weak in one area? Put it off till the last one. Score high enough on everything else and the last one just must be completed.
I had 14 points before starting the freestyle.

Don't remember the times required for scoring but Michael Phelps could make a 5.0 in freestyle but not many others. I did all the required tests in one day at the lake but just paced myself. 800 yard mask fins and snorkel are supposed to be done with no arms, tow is both you and your tired diver (instructor in my case) fully geared, free style is just a suit.

Good luck

400 yards swim
under 6 min = 5
6 to 8 min = 4
8 to 10 min = 3
10 to 12 min = 2
more than 12 min = 1

15-minute Tread
Performed satisfactorily = 5
Stayed afloat, but hands not out of water entire two minutes = 3
Used side/bottom for momentary support no more than twice = 1

800 Yard Swim with mask, fins, snorkel
under 13 min = 5
13 to 15 min = 4
15 to 17 min = 3
17 to 19 min = 2
more than 19 min = 1

100 Yard Inert Diver Tow
under 2 min = 5
2 to 3 min = 4
3 to 4 min = 3
4 to 5 min = 2
more than 5 min = 1

In metric:

Stamina Exercises

Have candidates complete four stamina and water skills exercises, earning a combined exercise score of at least 12. There is no passing score for any single exercise.

Stamina Exercise 1: 400 Metre Swim

Swim 400 metres nonstop, without swimming aids and using any stroke or combination of strokes.

5: under 6 min, 30 sec.
4: 6 min, 30 sec. to 8 min, 40 sec.
3: 8 min, 40 sec. to 11 min
2: 11 to 13 min
1: more than 13 min

Stamina Exercise 2: 15-minute Tread

Tread water, drown proof, bob or float using no aids and wearing only a swimsuit for 15 minutes, with hands (not arms) out of the water during the last two minutes.

Exceptions: A candidate with a physical impairment that makes it difficult/impossible to hold hands out of the water is exempted from that portion of the exercise with no effect on the score.

5: Performed satisfactorily
3: Stayed afloat, but hands not out of water entire two minutes
1: Used side/bottom for momentary support no more than twice
0: Used side/bottom for support more than twice

Stamina Exercise 3: 800 Metre Swim

Swim 800 metres face down, using mask, snorkel and fins, nonstop, without flotation aids and without using arms to swim.
Exceptions: A candidate with leg-use limitations who normally arm swims, may use arms.

5: under 14 min
4: 14 min to 16 min, 30 sec.
3: 16 min, 30 sec. to 18 min, 30 sec.
2: 18 min, 30 sec. to 21 min
1: more than 21 min

Stamina Exercise 4: 100 Metre Inert Diver Tow

Tow (or push) a diver for 100 metres nonstop, at the surface, without assistance – both divers equipped in full scuba equipment.

5: under 2 min, 10 sec..
4: 2 min, 10 sec. to 3 min, 15 sec.
3: 3 min, 15 sec. to 4 min, 20 sec.
2: 4 min, 20 sec. to 5 min, 30 sec.
1: more than 5 min, 30 sec.

Have candidates complete five waterskills exercises, earning
a combined exercise score of at least 15. There is no passing
score for any single exercise.

They added the equipment exchange exercise to the mix.

the fact that they added the equipment exchange IMO makes it a little easier. If you can do the exchange, its hard to do less than a 3. If you're careful and think ahead you can score a 5.

Back
Top Bottom