Winter Provincetown Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porgyhunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anyone ever try a Winter shore dive at Race Pt in Provincetown Mass. I am currently doing some work out there and want to dive race pt beach when I get a calm day. Visability looks real good, no boat traffic, Great Whites have headed south, I got the whole parking lot to myself, Just need a little info on the current and maybe a heads up on depth of Cod or Pollac schools. Never did this dive before but I did some soundings in my boat and know it gets deep fast! Any info appreciated :idk:

Don't know 1st hand but if it gets deep fast it could be because there is a strong rip "dredging" the bottom. It sure looks like a place for a strong current to be ripping through. Also I don't recall ever hearing of people diving there, but that could just be me. Contact a LDS out there get their take. Be careful there, it's a long swim to anywhere from there!

Hey AfterDark; I've looked in to this for years. This evidently is a great lobster dive. At 70ft you drift along and just pick up lobsters! For what ever reason they are just walking along the sand. DIVE LOCKER in hyannis fills there lobster charters there rapidly. You are right about the current... depending on the ebb or flow it passes over a sand ridge that can pull you down. They call it the ''bowl''. Evidently it can and has pulled divers down to 180ft, I talked to 1 diver who said ''just kick away from the wall'' and you won't be sucked down. I just don't want to be pulled out to sea, SOLO, in the winter. Hey come on out Jordan and we'll both go for a cold ride. A watery verson of ''Jingle Bells'' :no:

Hey AfterDark; I've looked in to this for years. This evidently is a great lobster dive. At 70ft you drift along and just pick up lobsters! For what ever reason they are just walking along the sand. DIVE LOCKER in hyannis fills there lobster charters there rapidly. You are right about the current... depending on the ebb or flow it passes over a sand ridge that can pull you down. They call it the ''bowl''. Evidently it can and has pulled divers down to 180ft, I talked to 1 diver who said ''just kick away from the wall'' and you won't be sucked down. I just don't want to be pulled out to sea, SOLO, in the winter. Hey come on out Jordan and we'll both go for a cold ride. A watery verson of ''Jingle Bells'' :no:

It's all about the timing. New England is like that. Tides are a very important part of dive planning here. I'll dive the Race at slack with you. My favorite bug place has a 7 knot current the slack is the only time its divable. A chat with the LDS owner would be good too. I'll have some time off after Christmas and New Years, I've also got a new dry suit that needs to dive. Call me. A cold lonely death sounds grim, I'll keep you company.:cold:

Hey Dan....You dive there? Was looking in the harbor today, looked really clear was thinking of a lunch splash around Mcmillian pier? What do you think? Love to dive around break water off pier, but looks like a swim :idk:

went out 4 times w/dive locker...giant bugs living in toilets..
best drift dive around...cant wait for bug season..try dive locker charter..only if you love tons of big lobsters:D

Bob Did you always dive the same strech of shoreline? I heard about the toilets...neat artificial reef :shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom