United States "drowned towns"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beware apparently intact wooden structures.
Nails don't fair so well in those environments.

Perfect buoyancy, not kicking dust around is your friend.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, does anybody know how well brick structures hold up in a lake with no current?
The lake in Montana, Clark Canyon Reservoir, has Armstead under it (lewis-clark.org/content/content-article.asp?ArticleID=1946), and I have seen pictures from 1970 of a two story brick schoolhouse.. Still trying to find a depth of the town listed somewhere, by this summer I should be certified to dive up to 140'

New Jersey - Round Valley Resevoir on the deep side Is said to once be a town. I believe as with the others most has been removed or what not. I have yet to be over or down that deep to see anything. But have heard from some people as seen pics of pieces of old building supposedly there is a Part of a church still there and some other things but like I said have not been there or seen it myself to confirm

That's interesting. When I first got certified I went there a few times but the group I was with never mentioned that.

That's interesting. When I first got certified I went there a few times but the group I was with never mentioned that.

Yea I actually had a map someone posted of RV which had the structures on it. I don't have a boat or scooter good enough to get me over to where you need to be and Not interested in a long Surface swim to get out over there to the deeper section where it is. But have heard its there

In Colorado : At the resivior side of Dillon resivior. is the old town of Dillon . The town was moved to it's current location north of the North dam next to I70, Sillverthorn is next To Dillon. I do not know if any structurs are still there.

In Georgie: at Lake lanier there is an old race track in rec. depths

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS INFORMATION. It is so cool to know there ir so many places to check out

South Carolina under Lake Jocassee: Jocassee Valley. The graveyard is still there and divable, as is a few old structures like the school house, the old entrance to the girl's camp, a small suspension bridge and the Attakulla Lodge. The last three mentioned are in 300'+ while the graveyard is only in ~140' and the school house foundation and a few odds and ins are at ~250'.

Massachusetts: ... town of Dana, North Dana, Millington, Enfield, Greenwich, and Prescott, on the Swift River for the Quabbin Reservoir

The majority that water from the Quabbin reservoir in western Massachusetts goes to service the Boston area in the eastern part of the state.

The word majority might be misleading since Boston has not paid to keep the pipes in good repair over the last 50 years or more. As a result millions upon millions of gallons of perfectly good drinking water leaks out of the pipes instead of being used for drinking water. :shocked2:

The Ashokan Reservoir in upstate NY is part of the Catskill water supply that feeds NYC. I know it is illegal to be in that water as a man I worked with years ago was nearly arrested along with his wife for skinny dipping in the reservoir. They recently had immigrated from Europe and had no idea that the reservoir was used for the city.

Great list. I wonder if anyone has info on some of the WPA projects as I know of campgrounds built then and associated impoundments.

The Sacandaga Reservoir town of Concord was renamed the Town of Day. Our club tried a dive there a couple of years ago. Very shallow/low viz off the launch ramp area. Vandenburg point is also a waste of time - shallow, muddy and just full of old tree stumps. The best place to dive is the north end by the spillway. There is a park there and at the park a gage station (don't use the stairs - rotten) but enter at the park and surface swim to the station. Head out from the station on 350 degrees. You will pass down a slope and over the old road bed (you can still see some posts from the the old wooden guard rail) and down another slope and you will enter the old river bed at about 50 feet (this is a flood control lake so depths vary) Once in the channel turn left/west/upstream away from the dam, and follow the river bed. After perhaps a 100 feet swim you will come to the old bridge that was blown off it's plinths when the dam went in. There are three spans laying on their sides in the channel. You can also follow the old road in from the last plinths.

Sacandaga is dark... I don't know why, thought it was a colloid due to haloing in some photos. Took a water sample and had it centrifuged but it spun clear. Regardless this will be a dark dive so bring a light - I have had divers close around me to use my light during daylight to see their gauges. Viz in the area ranges from 5 to 30 feet. If you are a novice make sure you are with an experienced diver, while the dive is technically easy, it is dark, fairly cold, and the you will be swimming through and around structure. I have 53 degrees in May and upper 50s in June and July at depth.

As for Lake Alamo which is on the OP's list, I wouldn't suggest it as it wouldn't even be worth the drive. If there are any old structures in the water, you'd most likely be able to see them as the lake is only 14% full, it's practically a pond.

I've heard it's basically a mud hole at this point and I don't believe there's even many fish in it.

As for Lake Alamo which is on the OP's list, I wouldn't suggest it as it wouldn't even be worth the drive. If there are any old structures in the water, you'd most likely be able to see them as the lake is only 14% full, it's practically a pond.

I've heard it's basically a mud hole at this point and I don't believe there's even many fish in it.

That's disheartening to hear - I fished Alamo in the '90s and it was amazing. Very remote and HOT, especially when camping.

I wonder what the burro's are drinking these days :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom