new to sidemount and I need ideas and advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DM240897

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greeting everyone,

I am new to sidemount diving.. I got my gear ordered and on the way and I will be practicing using the rig in the pool until I get comfy with it. My gear is a diverite XT SM BC and scubapro Mark 25 regs. Im hoping this will work for me because Im starting to have problems with my lower back and back mounted diving is starting to become painful. can someone tell me what kind of entry could be used while Side mounting. Can the giant stride entry be done? thanks

Mike H

It can, but you'll want to use ring bungees with it so you aren't stressing the normal bungee length. So have stage straps on the bottles as well. I have gianstrided I guess? with mine before. I prefer to jump in sans bottles and have them passed to me though

Giant striding is no problem. Ring bungees are also not necessary. I have bolt snaps with static cord set up on all of my cylinders as a fail safe should my bungee loop fail and it works great for giant striding, too. Just put the loop around the cylinder neck.

tankclips001.jpg

I did a few giant strides off the M/V Spree in October with LP108s and 2 AL40s. The drop was about 6' to the water. I also did a couple of drops in the same configuration and my SS scooter. Only difference was I dropped in back first to give more protection to the scooter.

actually this is my concern. I intend to try M/V Spree and I was told that its a 6' drop to the water. I always wanted to go SM config but not being able to do a G stride stopped me from converting to SM. thanks for the info, you answered my question. M/V Spree here I come...

See if Frank and Mel will let you go in from the swim platform. It's done in Cali.

Greetings Mike as Rob has already demonstrated a simple snap with parachute chord and you have no more worries.
I to employ the chord w/snap for walking tanks up and out and GS entries that are beyond normal. I do not have any issues when striding at Peacock with just bungees.
On a boat I use snaps but it is nice when tanks are handed but not an option in rougher waters.

The biggest struggle for many divers that I have witnessed is donning and doffing fins.
On boats it is pathetic for singles, doubles, I never knew that so many struggled with this. I was always instructed in OW / AOW you donned and doffed your own fins!
Entries and exits take some practice but I am thinking about videoing some on the Great Lakes this year for a bloopers reel.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

See if Frank and Mel will let you go in from the swim platform. It's done in Cali.

What's the point? I'd rather step off the deck than carry my cylinders down to the swim platform. And, FWIW, I found it much easier to climb back on the Spree with my sidemounted 108s than with my backmounted 95s. The lower position of the weight created a pull down rather than a pull back feeling. Much more stable in SM.

If you have a deck hand that'll help you can get one tank on, stick your fins on then put the other on, though I've had little trouble putting fins on with both tanks clipped in. I've never had anyone help me with fins... That's weird

Sorry bout the rings, they're not necessary but if you're walking around you should have a hard connectino between your tanks and the D-rings so you're not straining the bungee. Rings are convenient, but what Rob has works too and is an extra backup

What's the point? I'd rather step off the deck than carry my cylinders down to the swim platform. And, FWIW, I found it much easier to climb back on the Spree with my sidemounted 108s than with my backmounted 95s. The lower position of the weight created a pull down rather than a pull back feeling. Much more stable in SM.

The point is the OP could do his first giant stride close to the water and get the feel of it. Kinda like in the mix classes where you do the depth in increments. And, it's not far to the stern, especially if you are located towards the back of the benches anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom