Snorkeling on the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WartedEmperor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning a trip to the Big Island at the end of January. I was wondering what the best snorkel sites and for that site what company you recommend?

The bay off of the City of Refuge is wonderful to skin dive. I also like the Koloko Ponds (my favorite, but strong current on the entry and exit when there is swell).
Get Wet!

Consider Puako. Can go by boat from the Mauna Lani or shore from various points off Old Puako Rd. Nice lava finger topoography so a short swim will give you everything from 3' to 40' or so. Saw a couple of honu, white moray, boxfish, puffers along with the usual suspects when there last month.

The south side of Kealakekua Bay (opposite the monument) is my favorite snorkeling spot on the island. Easy entry at Manini Beach.

Do you know where you will be staying? (Kona, Waikoloa, Hilo, etc)

1. The 69 Beach just N of Puako: mostly puffers but also raccoon and threadfin butterflyfish etc
2. Kahaluu beach Park: turtles, sailfin tangs etc
3. Right next to Capt Cook monument: plenty of yellow, archilles and orange-bar tangs, trumpetfish, triggerfish etc
4. Lapakahi St park: here you can see a lot of fish that lives in the surf like white-spotted tangs

The weather and surf has been up lately, and promises to be so for much of the next week. I suspect this will not change through the end of the month. I would plan on the more sheltered locations! Puako end-of-road tends to be much calmer than the more exposed areas, but even it can be rough at times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom