O2 tank explosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...if I'm making it out correctly, is 4/88 which depending on the manufacturer and size...
I think the size has been mentioned, but we can't clearly make out the date, much less the manufacturer. From what I've heard about this couple, I just doubt that they'd have an AL6351 tank without proper inspections, especially for an Oxygen tank at 3,000 psi. Yeah, we see expert and highly experienced divers screw up at times - on the boat or in the water generally if at all, but my hunch is not in this garage.

For most diving accident threads in this forum, we really don't expect to get full details on diving accidents, but speculative discussions can aid participants and readers in how to avoid similar circumstance and outcomes - so we do explore loosely and discuss on what-ifs. Such is not the case here I don't think...
There is not really much possible to be learned from speculative discussions that isn't covered well by the rules and guidelines in the thread you linked. Do it by the book; discussion done.

Too the evidence is there, hard pieces for the authorities locally to examine, which they will.

And, from the close friends who have posted on this thread, I think we will be presented with the facts and possible causes in short time when they do become available.​
I'll look forward to hearing what caused the rupture, but see no benefit in trying to rush the answers here. My opinion anyway...

thanks

Hey Gang,

No need to work over the video, we do have photos and the top portion of the tank and I do promise to post as much as possible but ya have to give them enough time to complete the investigation. The video does not give enough detail to really figure out what is going on. Right now the primary lesson learned is be VERY carefull with O2 tanks.

Thanks,

Ed

I work in EMS, and just showed the news report to our on duty crews. It serves as a valuble example of what can happen. I have had countless 02 bottles fall over or get dropped over the years, but have never had one rupture/explode. Though the medical bottles are only at 2000 psi. I think I will try to make our safety procedures a little more stringent. Good luck to the injured persons. From what I have read here, they sound like wonderful people.

I am sure this is just a very unfortunate accident.
How many garages have Oxygen tanks for oxy-Acetylene welding and accidents are very few. Yes I think the tanks are steel and are filled to 2200 PSI or 150 BAR.
I have seen the tanks knocked around, and while care is taken around the torch end little of no care is taken of the tanks or valves.
As a child I was never warned of the dangers of O2
Too be honest I can remember changing tanks as a child and never being given any special advise except to NOT cross thread the connections. :no: True Health and Safety had not been invented then.
Garages are full of compustable materials but O2 was never an issue.
Hospitals are another example. Loads of O2 cylinders floating around the place as well as piped O2 through many parts of the building.

Scuba use of O2 is such a small percentage of the total and the extra training and care we take with it, that I feel this must be just a very unfortunate accident.

I work in EMS, and just showed the news report to our on duty crews. It serves as a valuble example of what can happen. I have had countless 02 bottles fall over or get dropped over the years, but have never had one rupture/explode. Though the medical bottles are only at 2000 psi. I think I will try to make our safety procedures a little more stringent. Good luck to the injured persons. From what I have read here, they sound like wonderful people.

Ditto, and I saw one fall out of the ambulance side doors once, my heart truly skipped some beats. We really have no issues with chaining them or putting them into a rack. But the bottle in use is in a bag with a handle and that can slip open and let the bottle fly.

Remember guys medical oxygen tanks are 3AL2015. Almost 1,000psi less than a scuba tank. Like Ed said, give it some time and I'm sure we will know the cause of the explosion.

Dear SB,

I came across this horrible tragedy and thought you might find this of interest.

Don't ever underestimate a power of scuba cylinder. 3000 pounds per square inch will create a bigger explosion that one might think. Be sure to strap your tanks down and handle them with care.

Our thoughts go out to Rick Allen and his wife Cindy Burnham. We hope they will recover quickly.

Here is the link to the article, be sure to watch the video in the middle of the article.

Cheers

Another thread from Accidents & Incidents here. Truly terrible event and my prayers are with them.

Hi gcs118,

Thank you, I tried to look to see if anyone had started a thread on this but I i was unsuccessful:confused:.

I have to work on my search techniques a little better next time.

Moderators, feel free to get rid of this thread as there is no need for two separate ones.

Thank you.

Don't read too much into this yet. There are some big questions as to what actually happened. It APPEARS that there actually was an oxygen tank (as opposed to the all too common "oxygen tank " reported in news events) involved, there was a fire for some reason and compressed air/nitrox does not catch fire.
Local accounts are he is doing much better and while will have major injuries, he will live.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom