Shaka Doug, any news on new Maui mayor's plans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobmaggi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
HI Doug! Just wondering about news on the new Maui mayor's plans for all the scuba diving rules/permits, etc that were put in place under the old mayor's regime? Just wondering, as we are headed out there next month! thanks! Maggi :D

Hi Maggi,

Thanks for asking. Not sure what his plans are. I am thinking about applying for a position on his parks commission (it's a volunteer spot). He did remove the previous parks director Tamara Horcajo so that's a Good Thing!!

I got a chance to get a nice photo op with Mayor Arakawa and his wife after the innauguration last Sunday! I am looking forward to a much better next couple of years with him in office! He actually used to do a lot of diving years ago so he know's how important our reef systems are and he appreciates the economic benefits we get from protecting them and promoting good diving opportunities for our visitors.

165137_1655859189873_1038890729_1774985_6086066_n.jpg

As usual, a dissenting voice; this is how I heard and saw the last two admistrations on Maui:

Firstly, the rules/permits issue involves all shore based commercial ocean activities, so any changes will also involve surfing, windsurfing, kite boarding, stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, and lastly snorkeling & diving. It is likely that diving has less annual participants than all but snorkeling.

Just to give some chronology; when I moved "back" to Maui after 3 years in Monterey and 5 years on Oahu (June 1/05) permitting of Commercial Ocean Recreation Activities (CORA) operators was already "frozen" and existing permits were also already "not transferable." It is possible that those actions happened two Mayors before Mayor Tavares. The reason Tavares was elected was largely because pretty much nothing was done during the previous administration (unless you were a multi million dollar member of the "good old boys").

Mayor Tavares "inherited" the beach activities permitting issues from the previous Mayor(s), just like she inherited the B&B/TVR issues from the previous Mayor(s). I emailed two of the previous Mayor's Recreation Department heads asking for clarification on the CORA situation and never even got a reply saying "sorry we don't know."

Mr. Arakawa made a bunch of promises in order to get elected "this time" that seem pretty fishy when compared to what his previous administration did. Actually that is wrong; when compared to what his previous administration didn't do. At least Mayor Tavares did something.

The new/old Mayor has only been Mayor again for a week and there are many more important issues for a Mayor to deal with personally, like hiring many of the recent election's capitalist puppet losers. Since he has pretty much promised to loosen the reigns on "capitalism" I remain shockingly optimistic that small businesses will actually benefit from any first month (first quarter, first year?) actions by the Mayors office. :idk:

No doubt that on Maui loosening reigns on capitalism is a good thing.

Doug is he Stan's uncle?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom