Insulting ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG totally I love that idea!

As for the original ad, you couldn't come up with anything better? Even your defense that 'invasion' has multiple meanings loses credibility when you decided to pair the message with pictures of US troops. It reminded me of when we stopped in Grenada a couple of years ago on a cruise & I went up to the old fortress & there was a plaque commemorating the loss of life in the 1983 INVASION. Stopped me in my tracks. The US and other militaristic nations are guilty of invading lands globally & in the end lives are lost. Tacky is the least of the issues with the ad.

So what really is the issue with the ad?

Were they not the pictures of invasions? Is the word invasion offensive or the fact that any army actually does invasions or that US armed forces do invasions or what?

What specifically is offensive?

PS: First beers on me in Cozumel :cheers:

Wish I could go. With my 6 month granddaughter (which is in our care and will remain so) just diagnosed with some developmental delays, vision and audio problems and motor skills deficiencies. It looks like we'll be adopting her in order to give her a chance to get best care for her. This pretty much get my diving on hold, esp. financially expensive trips as all resources we have will focus on the baby. So local quarry diving for me...

Enjoy the invasion!

Something we say around SoFla very frequently: "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?"

If I have a SunPass on my windshield and claim "Conch Republic Resident In Exile' status may I be excused? Please?

DC

So what really is the issue with the ad?

Is the word invasion offensive

What specifically is offensive?

It depends what side you're on, but the connotation is always negative.

Lionfish invade South Florida.........................Go Lionfish

If I have a SunPass on my windshield and claim "Conch Republic Resident In Exile' status may I be excused? Please?

DC

We like you DC, so you get a pass, unless....

you shoot across three lanes because OOPS there is your exit

or what? I'm supposed to check my blind spot before merge

or you STOP in the express lane and injure one of my very very good friends

if you don't do those things, we won't hunt you as a tourist during tourist/snow bird season :wink:

Isn't hunting tourists in Florida like jacklighting deer, or dynamiting at the base of the dam?

No sport because the blue hairs cannot see nor run.....and if you sit outside the pancake house with the "all you can eat" special they come to you.....

It depends what side you're on, but the connotation is always negative.

Lionfish invade South Florida.........................Go Lionfish

The USA doesn't invade other countries ... is that what you're saying?

Well, except for ...

Korea 1950
Guatemala 1954
Indonesia 1958
Cuba 1959
Guatemala 1960
Vietnam 1961
Congo 1964
Laos 1964
Cambodia 1969
Guatemala 1967
Grenada 1983
Lebanon 1983
Libya 1986
El Salvador 1980s
Nicaragua 1980s
Iran 1987
Panama 1989
Iraq 1991
Somalia 1993
Bosnia 1994
Sudan 1998
Yugoslavia 1999
Afghanistan 2001
Yemen 2002
Iraq 2003

... and while the connotation wasn't always negative, it certainly wasn't fun ... like invading Cozumel would be.

I really don't see what the fuss is all about. Is the US military supposed to be sacred or something?

Some of y'all really need to get over yourselves ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We like you DC, so you get a pass, unless....

[-]you shoot across three lanes because OOPS there is your exit[/-] Nope.

[-]or what? I'm supposed to check my blind spot before merge[/-] Nope.

[-]or you STOP in the express lane and injure one of my very very good friends[/-] Nope.

if you don't do those things, we won't hunt you as a tourist during tourist/snow bird season :wink:

But one time I followed a white Lincoln Town Car all the way from the Turkey Lake Plaza to Yeehaw Junction. She had her left turn signal on the whole time. I believe you call that 'The Eventual Left Turn.' I followed her because I didn't want to get close to her, even if to pass. Besides, she never went slower than 85MPH.

DC

The USA doesn't invade other countries ... is that what you're saying?

Well, except for ...

Korea 1950
Guatemala 1954
Indonesia 1958
Cuba 1959
Guatemala 1960
Vietnam 1961
Congo 1964
Laos 1964
Cambodia 1969
Guatemala 1967
Grenada 1983
Lebanon 1983
Libya 1986
El Salvador 1980s
Nicaragua 1980s
Iran 1987
Panama 1989
Iraq 1991
Somalia 1993
Bosnia 1994
Sudan 1998
Yugoslavia 1999
Afghanistan 2001
Yemen 2002
Iraq 2003

... and while the connotation wasn't always negative, it certainly wasn't fun ... like invading Cozumel would be.

I really don't see what the fuss is all about. Is the US military supposed to be sacred or something?

Some of y'all really need to get over yourselves ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm saying the obverse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom