Cruise Ship Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vilinsky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if the travelers on this site have used the dive shore excursions from the cruise ships and their experiences both good and bad. I will be traveling on my honeymoon to Costa Maya, Mexico, Roatan, Bay islands, Honduras, Belize City, Belize and Cozumel, Mexico. I have never been on a cruise before and have no first hand experience. Should I also pack my own dive equipment or rent? What kind of wet suit please help??? Is it better to make your own arrangements prior to leaving with a dive shop at each port? Last but not least do you know of any good Dive out fits in these ports that you would recommend if I were to book on my own? Thanks. Vlad

Using the excursions through the cruise, will cost a little more than booking it your self or just picking up at the port, however as long as you book thought the cruise line they guarantee that you will be back on the ship before it sails or they will wait for you, if you book outside and are late the ship will be gone. The ships contract thought local operators, if you are an experienced diver you may be a little disappointed because the dives are never challenging and are geared at the minimal certification level.
If you are flying don’t pack your gear that is a full extra bag (airline charges) also the cabins on cruise ships are not the biggest rooms, so unless you are planning to dive every port I wouldn’t. A skin is generally sufficient for Caribbean diving, temps should be 72-80.

If you want to dive, don’t dive Belize, you are tendered and it takes to long to get on and off so the only diving is in the bay (not worth it). Coz and Roatan are good, and Costa Maya is great if you are with the right shop.

Friends don't let friends book cruise ship excursions.

Do some research on SB and book with a local operator direct. Cheaper and better.

Do NOT miss Belize, the cruise ship dive operator picks you up AT THE SHIP! Have done it twice, will be there again a week from yesterday. Hitting Grand Cayman with Eden Rock, Roatan and Belize with cruise excursion, Coz with Aldora. We always pack all our gear. As to wetsuit I am a warm water weenie and wear a 5/3. She is a lot more warm blooded and gets by with a 1 or 2.

ENJOY!!

I was wondering if the travelers on this site have used the dive shore excursions from the cruise ships and their experiences both good and bad. I will be traveling on my honeymoon to Costa Maya, Mexico, Roatan, Bay islands, Honduras, Belize City, Belize and Cozumel, Mexico. I have never been on a cruise before and have no first hand experience. Should I also pack my own dive equipment or rent? What kind of wet suit please help??? Is it better to make your own arrangements prior to leaving with a dive shop at each port? Last but not least do you know of any good Dive out fits in these ports that you would recommend if I were to book on my own? Thanks. Vlad

The only place I would book with the ship would be Belize because it's a tender port and it has a bit of a tender ride (unlike Cayman which has a 5 minute tender ride). I currently work on ships and dive from them quite often, booking outside the ship. Many ports have at least one dive shop with a boat reserved for people coming off of a ship. What line are you cruising and what are your times in port? What port are you leaving out of? Depending on the time of year is what wetsuit I would recommend. If it's late spring to early fall, a shorty will do. Bring your own gear. It's gear you are familiar with. In Cozumel, I would recommend Scuba Mau. I have used them quite a bit. I have heard good things about Blue Xtsea, Aldora, Blue Magic, and many others as well. can't help with any of the other ports, sorry.

~Rivers

Sounds like the NCL itinerary out of New Orleans.

I would take my own gear, especially if you have a Balcony cabin.

Suggested Dive Operators (all these will work with you on timing):

Costa Maya - Blue Ocean Safari
Roatan - Coconut Tree Divers
Belize - ship's excursion - Hugh Parkey takes you to Turneffe Atoll - picks you up at the ship (or go cave tubing - if you want to save some $$$, but miss a great dive). He tries to separate the group based on experience - having your own equipment will normally put you with the more advanced group.
Cozumel - any mentioned above and add Eagle Ray Divers.

Since we cruise a lot, I have handled the excursion booking both ways: I have booked my own dives, and I have purchased the ship's excursions.

Unless the port is VERY well known to me, I like to book my diving through the ship since I am less familiar with the those ports. Other ports, like Cozumel, I know quite well. I know which dive ops to trust and I will book directly through them.

Regarding gear, if I am only diving at one port, I rent my gear along with the excursion. I have been diving long enough that I am ok with the little quirks of rental gear. For one day of diving, it's not worth it to me to deal with gear cleaning and storage on the ship.

But if I am diving in more than one port, I will take my own gear. To me, diving in at least two ports allows me to justify the time/effort of gear handling.

Always booked my own. Usually back at the ship, we find we had the better dive an spent less, which allows in the en, More Diving.
Dove with Maya Palms in Mahajual- heard the ship dive was the pits.
2nd time diving in Roatan with Las Rocas resort. Great seafood place (next door) for lunch during your surface interval. They picked up/dropped off and for less than others charged for just diving, but you have to walk out of the terminal, past all the cabs and a couple of blocks to the "non-authorized" vehicles.
Dove in Coz with Blue Magic- faster boats than most, stay down till your air is gone, not the first person to run out. Skipped Belize this time, most expensive, and to me not the greatest.
This was our 2010 cruise on Nor Spirit. Leaving Feb 27 out of Puerto Rico for 5 dive ports, woo hoo.

I dove in Cozumel during a stop on a Royal Caribbean cruise. They subcontract to a local dive shop that picks divers up at the cruise ship port. Since this wasn't a dedicated dive trip I decided not to bring my gear (aside from mask, fins, snorkel) I have a watch computer that I always bring.

Talking to the divemaster on the ship he informed me that I could rent equipment at the shop or I could rent it from the shop on the boat. I chose to do this since I could see the gear ahead of time and breathe off the reg right there. It was good quality scubapro gear.

The diving was great in terms of viz and sea life. The boat carried about 12 divers so not crowded at all. The dive briefing was a bit limited, mainly because of language barrier on my part. They divided the boat up my personal claimed dive experience and some in my "more experienced" group should probably reassess their claim.

Sure it is kind of expensive but because its a ship excursion there's less to have to keep up with and the charges go through the cruise company rather that through the local shop where they know you'll be gone later that day and have no way to check your credit card statement. Having had a problem with credit card fraud when out of country I'm alway suspicious.

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom