Insulting ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you served in the military? If you haven't, I don't think you're in any place to tell someone who has served what is and isn't offensive.
Shades of Starship Troopers! People who have not served in the military can have opinions here on ScubaBoard. No need to start a "war" over this, Princess!

:ijs:

Just like being called a certain word can insult me or make me laugh depending on what I perceive to the intent of the person saying it.

I saw the original post go up and wondered what his problem was, but I hadn't seen the scrolling pics - which seems to suggest by association to me that invading Normandy was a fun beach party. Sorry, as much as I appreciate Scubaboard and the annual dive gatherings sponsored - the connection bothers me.

Pete is changing is of course. :thumb: thanks

which seems to suggest by association to me that invading Normandy was a fun beach party.

Actually it does suggest quite the opposite.

I saw the original post go up and wondered what his problem was, but I hadn't seen the scrolling pics - which seems to suggest by association to me that invading Normandy was a fun beach party.

Funny, I read the exact opposite. Like "you've gone through hell in the past, now isn't it time you go do something fun ?"

This is classic argument from authority fallacy.

I find the whole "I served thus I have the right to be insulted" argument intellectually insulting.

Perhaps I should request Pete to remove posts that don't grasp the sarcasm of the add on the basis that are intellectually insulting.

I'm not saying that Pete should have to change it because it's insulting to some (though I think it's good he did). What I'M saying that I don't agree with someone (who has not had a certain experience) telling someone else (who HAS had a specific experience) what they should and shouldn't find insulting.

Example: I'm an animal lover. If SB had some ad glorifying Michael Vick, I would find that insulting. I'm not saying SB would be forced to take it down. However, I would be even more annoyed in some Eagles fan told me that I should not be insulted. No one should tell someone else what is and is not insulting.

Actually it does suggest quite the opposite.
Maybe so. Maybe it's more like comparing Haiti post quake photos with Cancun at spring break...?

Maybe just replace the war pics with NYC in the last blizzard?

Maybe just replace the war pics with NYC in the last blizzard?
Not a bad idea! Consider that idea STOLEN. Now I've got to go steal images of the Muppets singing "I've got Cabin Fever". :D

Back
Top Bottom