45lb wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a 94lb monster oms wing and dive doubles but at one time I dove it with a single tank and it sucked.
It does the job for me but I would much rather have a deep see supply wing and when I find a buyer for my wing I will make the switch and hopefully only have to pay a little bit more.

If you can send it back for a refund do it and go to DSS.
It's what I would do.

I live in Australia and the cost to post it back is $50. I might hold on to it and go see the tech diver at the dive shop who told me he's selling all his gear because he can't dive anymore. Might be able to get a 30 for $100 if I'm lucky.

Ok so it's more than what I need. Will it still be usable or would it be dangerous?

Here is what it is
OMS 45 lb. Lift Single Bladder, Black

Oh yeah.

That's a doubles wing. Look at the width. You will get major taco with it and will have trouble moving the bubble with a single tank. To compensate you will over weight yourself, get out of trim and you will work harder to push a larger volume of water aside.

For recreational diiving, it would be unfair to say that it's a "dangerous" option. However, it isn't optimum. You'd probably find it annoying and it would reduce your ability to control your trim. It would also reduce your streamlining. If you were doing wreck penetration or cave, then the surplus wing material would 'taco' and that could then get snagged on obstructions. It could lead to your wing getting worn or punctured in the worst case.

Thanks for the advice.

What I'm thinking of now is buying a 33lb and keeping the 45lb for the future. I'll downgrade from a wrist to a console computer to compensate for the loss. Or is that a bad idea considering I would like to do wreck and penetration diving in the future?

It's a matter of personal preference, but I don't see many experienced divers who opt for console computers. Having gauges on your wrist tends to be more convenient and reduces the complexity of your configuration.

What 'loss' do you feel you need to compensate for? I don't understand that comment?

I mean loss of money on the 45lb wing now that I need a 30lb. But I just checked out the oms site and they market the 45lb as a ideal single wing when used with an sta. This is getting confusing.

Would a console computer be ideal since I will need an SPG anyway? The oceanic VEO 100 looks like good value and by the looks of it can be converted to wrist mount. A wireless air integrated is out of the budget.

The VEO 100 doesn't do Nitrox which, in my opinion, makes it a deal killer should you ever want that functionality.

Console vs wrist is an age old battle, like Ford vs. Chevy or Nikon vs Canon or "great taste" vs "less filling" (which might not make sense outside of USA)

Personally I love my PC on my wrist, which I look at all the time, and my SPG all by itself, which I look at occasionally.

If money's a factor, skip the computer altogether. Grab a cheap depth gauge second hand and a wristwatch. If you're going to buy a computer, make sure it has Nitrox or you're gonna spend the money all over again at some point, and the air-only one will have zero resale value. I wouldn't even consider getting a console gauge, and I don't think consoles are any cheaper. I dislike air integration because it costs money (of which I have very little) and doesn't add anything to my diving pleasure.

Smallest doubles wing I've seen is HOG's 38#. Why are there camband slots in doubles wings?

I mean loss of money on the 45lb wing now that I need a 30lb.

Why not see if you can exchange it? If it's still unused, they may agree to an exchange.... it'd demonstrate good customer service if they did.

If not, and it was unused, then you could always try listing it on Ebay/Craig's List, at the full value... or for a swap. You might get lucky and find someone that needs a doubles wing, who has a single tank wing spare...

If not, then I'd advise on making do with the 45lb wing for now, so that it doesn't force compromises with your other equipment needs. When you eventually get a dedicated single-tank wing.... you'll be pre-equipped for the transition to double tanks at a later date..

But I just checked out the oms site and they market the 45lb as a ideal single wing when used with an sta. This is getting confusing.

Rule #1 : Never believe the marketing.

Combo single/double tank wings, Spare Air and Split Fins are the most misappropriately marketed scuba items. But there's plenty of other misleading advertising done, even on good products.

Would a console computer be ideal since I will need an SPG anyway?

My standard answer to this is: "Where do you wear your watch, and why?"

If you find it more convenient to have your watch dangling at your waist on the end of a piece of string, then it probably makes sense to get a console... If not.... :wink:

If you search this forum, you'll find lots of (heated) debates about console/wrist computers and single/double tank wings... it's worth considering all the perspectives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom