Pros and Cons of Rigid D-Ring on Hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think, if you looked around, your mind would be boggled by the number of ways there are to quickly tie your shoelaces (most of which are much faster than what we were typically taught as kids), including no-hands, no-touch methods:

Just goes to show, not everything is immediately obvious, or as it appears on first glance :)

Ha! I think I can do it as well! :) Nice trick!

Photos would be great.

Here's something I wrote to help:
Deep-Sea Sherpa How to clip the SPG to the hip D-ring

And there's pictures.

spg_boltsnap_dir.jpg

spg_boltsnap_dir_2.jpg

I can wait another 30 dives and then have exactly the same problem. Why not deal with it now?
Sometimes it's best to get squared away at the level you're at before advancing to more stuff. I've seen divers rush through various levels and end up really hurting themselves by not polishing everything before advancing.

Same concept with stage bottles. Other fingers not really positioned naturally cause I was trying to be obvious. Phone doesn't take great pics either.

Ring finger through snap (yes it fits with drygloves).
IMG00057-20110106-1850.jpg

Ring finger through snap with thumb actuating gate
IMG00059-20110106-1851.jpg

Sometimes it's best to get squared away at the level you're at before advancing to more stuff. I've seen divers rush through various levels and end up really hurting themselves by not polishing everything before advancing.

Aka, too much too soon. Smaller bits of information and technique polishing each one first is a reliable strategy.

people have been diving DIR style in 45F or colder water in puget sound, in ontario canada, and over in europe for more than a decade now, with no modifications other than thicker exposure protection.
Well not quite. We have to make sure we're not drinking a Coke when we read that DIR doesn't work in cold water.

45F? That's considered a luxurious warm deco temp when diving off Nova Scotia.

We do cave diving in Bosnia at approx. same temp. As well as open water in Northern Adriatic during winter. And everything can be clipped-unclipped with any type of gloves.

Well not quite. We have to make sure we're not drinking a Coke when we read that DIR doesn't work in cold water.

we need to make a list of "useless criticisms of DIR" which just display the author has no idea what they're talking about.

if you discard "only wear black" as just being laughable, the whole only-works-in-caves-not-in-cold-water has to be the #1 most useless argument about DIR that there is.

yeah, i know, its like a hot water sauna out here... i'm not sure why we don't just wear t-shirts, i guess we need the drysuit for redudant buoyancy though...

we need to make a list of "useless criticisms of DIR" which just display the author has no idea what they're talking about.

if you discard "only wear black" as just being laughable, the whole only-works-in-caves-not-in-cold-water has to be the #1 most useless argument about DIR that there is.

Someone needs to write the Baker's Dozen of useless arguments. As you suggest "doesn't work in cold" should be number 1.

yeah, i know, its like a hot water sauna out here... i'm not sure why we don't just wear t-shirts,

Kane used to just wear a Tshirt when diving PNW. You guys must be a bunch of soccer players if you need more than that.

i guess we need the drysuit for redudant buoyancy though...

That's my excuse.

The way I see it, DIR works in almost every open water situation I know of...but about 1/4 of the caves I know of.

If anything, DIR is made for OW....which is what makes that posters statement sound so stupid....not really any experience diving with cave or dir divers, yet running their mouth.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom