45lb wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stabilo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive been searching the forum but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I am new to diving and just ordered my first bp/w setup It includes an AL plate and an OMS single bladder horseshoe 45lb wing with NO bungee. But since doing more research I think the 45lb may be too big and I should have ordered a 30lb. I only plan to single tank dive for a while and don't think the 45lb wing would suit doubles anyway. I'd be diving salt water, wearing a full 5mm wetsuit and have whatever tank I can get rent from the dive store.

I'm just concerned this wing will be too big and cause all sorts of troubles? Would it even be useable with doubles in the future?

Hi all,

Ive been searching the forum but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I am new to diving and just ordered my first bp/w setup It includes an AL plate and an OMS single bladder horseshoe 45lb wing with NO bungee. But since doing more research I think the 45lb may be too big and I should have ordered a 30lb. I only plan to single tank dive for a while and don't think the 45lb wing would suit doubles anyway. I'd be diving salt water, wearing a full 5mm wetsuit and have whatever tank I can get rent from the dive store.

I'm just concerned this wing will be too big and cause all sorts of troubles? Would it even be useable with doubles in the future?

Exposure suit buoyancy is the single biggest driver of required wing capacity.

Remember that Buoyancy Compensators are used to compensate for things that loose buoyancy as you descend.

The only thing that looses buoyancy is your suit. The typical 5mm wetsuit will be ~10-12 lbs positive for a person of normal stature.

The largest single wing we offer is a 40 lbs. Who buys these? People diving in very cold water with very buoyant suits.

Single wings for singles, doubles wing for doubles..........

Tobin

Pretty sure that's a double's wing.

I think the only single's wing that OMS has is the 32# "single tank".

Ok so it's more than what I need. Will it still be usable or would it be dangerous?

Here is what it is
OMS 45 lb. Lift Single Bladder, Black

Using a wing designed for doubles that's ~2x as large as required will effectively negate many of the advantages of a BP&W.

Dangerous? Probably not.

Tobin

If you are interested in diving doubles in the future, a 45 lb wing is a pretty usable size.

Yeah one day in the future I would like to. What can I do with a 45 that I couldn't with a 32?

I'm thinking you may have been confused by the items title on their website...it says "Single Bladder wing"...this doesn't mean it's for singles, this wing is in fact for doubles and has only a single bladder inside of it and not a double bladder for redundancy (which would mean 2 low pressure inflators like this one OMS 60 lbs. Dual Bladder Bungee Style ) ... if you actually purchased it from Leisurepro they are usually very good about exchanges and possibly even returns if you just prefer to do that.

He's suggesting that you could use the 45 for doubles ... whereas 32 isn't really a usable size for doubles (and I cant think of any companies that make 32 doubles wings off the top of my head)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom