Tyler State Park Clean-up and treasure hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi UB... I'm glad you're only looking for half-decent vis, 'cause that's all you're gonna find in the Atlanta area. I see you're from Texas, where do you usually dive? The nearest place to dive from Atlanta will be Lake Pirkey, close to Marshall. Well, the more I think about it, Murkey Pirkey doesn't have half-decent vis... (sorry Tony, but it's true!) :wink: Its' best claim to fame is being a power-plant lake, and warmer in the wintertime when the generators are running. You can drive a little further west and go to Tyler State Park, which can be a fun dive, and occasionally has half-decent vis- this time of year should be a pretty good bet. In order to dive Clear Springs, you will need to go even further west to Terrell (I-20), probably a couple of hours from Atlanta, possibly further. Are you just visiting there or putting down roots?

Thanks Foo. I currently live near Commerce Texas and have been to CSSP and Athens many times. CSSP is tolerable most of the time and I have seen Athens with near 50' visibility. I am putting down roots in Atlanta. How deep the roots will grow is an unanswered question, but I am in the process of buying a house and plan to stay for years. Where in the world do you get tank fills? Surely I don't have to go all the way to Shreveport???

Where in the world do you get tank fills? Surely I don't have to go all the way to Shreveport???

No, you don't have to go all the way to Shreveport... and quit calling me Shirley. :wink:

Make nice with your local fire dept., especially if it's volunteer... they appreciate any and all donations, and are usually willing to fill scuba tanks for free or a nominal fee. Good folks!

I forget about Daingerfield, Tony... when are you going to show us the ropes out there? And CALL US when that 30 ft. vis hits at Pirkey! I will be glad to be wrong.

better late than never (I hope)..

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You to everyone who came out to dive with us at Trashfest. Ya'll are the ones who make it all possible, and the patients at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital make it all worthwhile! We were honored to have Jimbo Reynolds (Scottish Rite patient) participate in the snorkel treasure hunt.

I was glad to put some faces with some names here on ScubaBoard, and hope to see everyone at some other events through the year, and again at Trashfest '09.

Trashfest '09 at Tyler State Park will be held on June 6, 2009. Watch for more information.

Thanks again to everyone who participated!!

Heather

There has been a lot going on with Scuba Steves for the past three years.As you may know I bought the store in September 2009.we had way too much going on to try to get the trash fest up and running last year.We have been looking at possable dates for the event in 2011.We will post as soon as we get the dates set(We are looking at June)
Thanks
Billy Hunter

No, you don't have to go all the way to Shreveport... and quit calling me Shirley. :wink:

Make nice with your local fire dept., especially if it's volunteer... they appreciate any and all donations, and are usually willing to fill scuba tanks for free or a nominal fee. Good folks!

I forget about Daingerfield, Tony... when are you going to show us the ropes out there? And CALL US when that 30 ft. vis hits at Pirkey! I will be glad to be wrong.

Daingerfield SP is closed for renovations, I don't know when it will reopen. There's always lovely Lake O' the Pines...

Billy
I'm thinking this is going to be one of the best trash fest. that scuba Steve's has had!! But u cant have it during the rot rally unless you are throwing me out of the circle like normal. LOL
John

John
you are not out of the circle.We are going to have the Trash Fest this year.It will be at Tyler State Park,We are looking at June 18th 2011.It will benefit the Childrens Miracle Network.
More Information to come.
Billy

Too cool! Will plan on June 2011. It has been about 25 years since I dove Tyler State Park. Lots of memories of doing openwater checkouts with Larry Smith who owned Diver's Supply in Tyler in the late 70's and 80's. Have been longing to go back--this will be the perfect excuse!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom