College Dorm - Drying Gear Fast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about a decent de-humidifier? Might not be in a student's budget, but worth a shot.

If you have a Shop Vac with removable motor and hose, you could build a dryer for your suit/boots/gloves.

Here's one I built. Gets the insides dry in about 15-20 minutes. Is pretty noisy though.

Attachments

• bootie2.JPG
    bootie2.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 65
we are talking about a college dorm room right? why do we care!

Mildew makes it harder to bring home dudes/chicks. Or more importantly to your sanity, it makes it hard for your roommate to bring home dudes/chicks.

I cant' believe I forgot. Anyways you can hand wash stuff in a scent nutralizing soap - Or machine wash but that is not good for some stuff. You can get really good products at your local hunting store designed to de-scent hunting garb.

Also you could use an old hockey equipment trick. For those of you that play the game you will know that the stuff can get really funky in a hury. If you take the wet gear and rub shaving creme into it - gets between the fibers, nd then completely rinse it. It will go a long way to controlling scent. Then your dorm will smell like cleanly shaven guy, which should keep the girlfriend interested.

They might not necessarily get your stuff dry but it should take out the funk.

I need some suggestion on ways to dry gear really fast.

As others have suggested, a fan and/or dehumidifier will help dry your gear fast.

But the smell is probably what you're concerned with most? If so, then if you have access to a bathtub, rinse your wetsuit, gloves, hood, booties, weightbelt, and BC a couple of times using a lot of fresh water. Then wash them thoroughly using a good wetsuit shampoo. Then throughly rinse the shampoo from your gear. Actually, you don't need a bathtub to do all this; you can do this on the floor of a clean shower room. You can even do this using a garden hose and a waterproof tarp on the dormitory lawn.

After you've thoroughly rinsed the shampoo from your gear, thoroughly soak it in a good enzyme soak (e.g., "Sink-the-Stink"). This is where you need the bathtub or something similar. This step is what kills a lot--all?--of the smell. You probably should NOT rinse your gear after the enzyme soak. (Read the directions.) Hang up your gear to dry. Perhaps use a fan and/or dehumidifier as others have suggested. Turn your gear (except for your BC, of course) inside out and continue drying. Turn your gear right-side out to finish drying. Dry completely before storing away.

Additional tips: Don't let your gear mildew/mold between dives during a dive outing, or when returning from a dive outing. If you pee, etc., in your wetsuit, make sure you rinse it (and your hood and gloves and booties!) as thoroughly as you can as soon as you can after the offending dive. Don't let your gear dry stinky!

Hope this helps.

Ronald

Just allow your room to get damp, get mouldy..and stink of wet neoprene. You'll get a mysterious reputation on campus...and people will call you 'mushroom boy'.

I am worried about the smell the most so my lady friends don't wont to come into my room.

Your life probably already smells like that. Before I started diving, I always noticed the stench of my diver friend's cars. Now, it just smells normal. Play it off as exotic or dangerous or something.

When hot chick asks "what is that freaky smell?"

You reply: "Rare and exciting drugs that I grow"

(sorry....just trapped in a 'Porkies'-esque fantasy... I guess most college kids wouldn't have any clue what I was talking about..)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom