BCD or Reg First?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm definitely in the Reg first camp, for all of the reasons above. Plus I know the use/maint history of it, which is a guess on a rental. BCD failure is a problem, reg failure is a BIG problem.

BUT, keep an eye out especially around Christmas time. Most of the dealers offer some pretty good package deals and our local guys will let you upgrade within the package deal and still see significant savings. Have fun! :thumb:

I would say Reg first ( I have Aqua Lung Legend for recreational and Sherwood Brut for PSD set). As previously stated it is the most "personal" of your gear and is a life support system, so you should be fully confident and comfortable with it.
BCD's are cheap to rent and reduces the bulk when traveling. I used all rental gear on a trip to Australia and couldn't wait to get back to my own stuff.
Not that you asked, but I'd put exposure suit ahead of BCD.

I would buy the regulator first I have a MK 17 with a S 555 its a great combo for cold weather diving. The BCD does make a difference having your own. I have been on dives were people rent them both and one of them seem to always leak .

My own personal order

Mask, fins, snorkel (I refer to them as diver's underwear)
Reg (ease of breathing, comfort and ...peace of mind as to how it has been used, maintained, etc)
Thermal protection (fit, comfort and warmth)
BCD (fit, bulkiness (or lack of if you will be travelling with it) and style (back inflate, wing or traditional...based on your style of diving)).

While good thermal protection may make a dive more enjoyable, a leaky mask or one that has pressure point will definitively ruin one.

If you are on a tight budget (like most of us...we all have to make choices), I would second Netdoc for HOG D1 CW reg and the other individual who suggested HOG/Express Tech set-up. As a matter of fact, I am quite surprised that Netdoc did not make that recommandation (Express Tech). I am pretty sure both items can be acquired for less money than the SP reg you are considering, they will serve you very well and they will last a lifetime.

My own personal single tank set-up...Sherwood SR1 reg and Express tech (upgraded to a 30 lbs donut bladder). I also have a Mares Dragon but now prefer diving backplate and Wing instead.

I purchased my SR1 reg set-up (SR1, Dual Octo (now upgraded to a mares metal Proton Octo) and console for 700.00 brand new) at the annual sale of a major DS in Montreal. It is a sealed reg, breath effortless and has served me very well on deep and cold water dives as well as diving trips down south.

Buy the BCD first. If you change the inner tube each time you dive, you will have trouble controlling your buoyancy. If you use the same exposure suit and the same BCD, then your buoyancy will stay consistent and the adjustments you make will be in how you control your buoyancy.

When I 1st started out, I bought a bcd as I always had issue with fit. now looking back I would suggest the reg as the 1st buy. two reasons I say this. In 2006 I was in a resort in Philippines (5 star, both the resort and the dive center) I went on 3 dives; I had reg issues with each dive one was sever. I used the whole tank in 20 and my normal SAC rate is 15-16L/min. I was in a shallow dive so the 1st look at my (their) gauge, i was at 500lbs the breathing effort was so great i used the tank in no time flat. That is after the last two dives having to switch out regs for leaks or bad depth gauge. This taught me a big lesson; even a high dollar dive shop is only as good as it's maintenance of the gear. If I am going to get killed for faulty gear I want it to be my fault for being a dump @$$ not someone else's.
Moral? the day I got back to work I ordered a Mares Proton Metal, NEVER had trouble with it and it's a great set up.

Good luck

Personally I would buy the Reg first. I too have a aqualung legend and love it. You have to trust your reg and it is sooo important not to mention you put it in your mouth. I have heard horror stories of people blowing chunks through regs at rental places. Yuck.

Having to piece all my dive gear together for over a year now, naturally the first things I did have due to being certified was mask, snorkel and fins but after that the one thing I found was essential to have, after multiple near disasters, was my BCD. After renting different ones, I began to realize that I was never going to get used to my bcd and where things belonged, feeling the same in the water and controlled boyancy until I had the same BCD (and dry suit) every time I dove. I then finally bought a scubapro BCD, it was my first piece of equipment. I don't regret that choice. I was finally able to work with a BCD that always performed the same every time and my equipment was in the same place so that I could finally begin to mentally train myself where everything was. This in turn, quickly helped me be better at diving and I felt far more confident in the water. Within 10 dives I had totally turned around my diving experience with just this one piece of equipment. I also had a problem with the idea of a reg that had been in someone's mouth, my solution to that was to have my own mouthpiece, and before that, I simply took it home and cleaned it throroughly. I have yet to have a problem with a reg that I have rented from my local dive shops. So that is just my lil two cents as far as what I think is most important...I think everyone has a different opinion though...

By having your own regs, you are going to purchase much better equipment than is used in rentals. You are going to take great care of the regs. Rental regs, regardless of brand, tend to be low end because the operators know you will rent them anyway. You can put your clips where they work for you. You will review your computer manual before you travel.

If either of you is an unusual size, either tall and skinny or short and wide, then I would recommend the BC's first for fit. Fit is important. But if you are "normal" then go for the regulators for both of you.

Apeks is good, Aqualung, and Mares are all great. You want a regulator that you can travel with and will work in cold water as well without freezing up.

Your local dive shop should be a big help to you in meeting your requirements.

I'd go with an integrated BCD first just to get away from weight belts.

Back
Top Bottom