AGA Mask question: Problems breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mighty Thor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was training this weekend and wearing an Interspiro AGA mask. I have only used this mask about 4 times. During the first check, my mask was tightened. It was very snug. I checked my mask and it seemed to breath fine, although a little more resistance than what I was used to. When I got in the water and closed the ambient valve, I had a real hard time breathing and had to thumb the dive. It felt like the tank valve was closed, however when I returned to shore and the valve was checked, it was fully open. I loosened my mask and it breathed much easier and seemed to resolve the problem. I was also wearing a neoprene hood. Anyone have any insights?

Did anyone else use it and think it was fine??

Anytime there is a problem with any piece of gear, it should then be checked by a qualified service tech. Maybe the mask itself needed to be adjusted.

As for the loosening of the mask strap helping..., I played around with one here after reading your post. Are the Oral nasal one-way valves in the right way? If they are put in backwards, having the mask snug would cause restriction and going in the water with the extra water pressure would all but stop the breathing ability. Loosening the mask strap allows for air to flow around the oral nasal mask for some, albeit restricted breathing. Did you feel the nasal cone collapse in some when inhaling?? You would not be the first to have them in wrong.

Get the mask looked at before it goes back in the water

Now that you mention it, I do remember feeling unusual nasal pressure before I even got in the water, requiring me to equalize, a couple of times. I don't know if the nasal cone was collapsing. What you are describing would seem to make a lot of sense. Is it possible that the feeling that I had as if the tank were slightly closed, was just me hyperventilating due to a buildup of Co2 that wasn't leaving the mask? I'll definitely have the gear checked.

Have it checked. It may be a number of things, including anxiety on your part.

CO2 would certainly build up if they were in backwards, but you'd feel restricted breathing regardless as the air cannot get from the mask to the oral nasal compartment. It is hard to say what it is without looking at it.

When holding the mask like you are going to put it on your face, you should only see the little flapper valves, NOT the 'spokes'. To see the spokes you should have to look through the faceplate of your mask. If they are in backwards, take it to a tech and have them flip them around for you. IF any repairs are made, I would recommend a benign environment to test it in before an actual operation

Thanks. I originally assumed it was anxiety on my part, and it still might have been. I am still getting used to the gear, and it is still difficult for me to figure out what is "normal." However I just didn't seem to be getting enough air. Somebody on my team is going to look at it as well as have an authorized tech look at it.

Something as simple as having the straps to tight can cause problems. Just comfy snug and not tight.

Well, I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse, but apparently there was something wrong with the mask. There was a problem with the exhalation diaphragm that was causing it to stick. I guess I'm glad it's not a physical or psychological problem with me, but still makes me aprehensive. I guess it's good that it happened during training. Another learning experience to put in the 'ole dive log.

sounds like you and the team need a workshop and field service class on that piece of equipment. let me know and ill try to locate you and instructor

What was the first stage you were using and when was it last serviced? Wouldnt hurt to have a local shop look at it

DRI has a great AGA/ Interspiro course. If no one on the team has taken the class and can order the kits (need the cert to order the parts kits), try to see if any teams in your area can help by getting you access to a tech. Parts kits for an overhaul/ annual service are about $140. They may also have access to a test kit, and can check to see if the mask is working before an overhaul.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom