Octopus holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I discovered that the store REI sells all different sizes of shock cord. Very nice for making lots of stuff.

I use a clip on the right side of my bc and then bring it up under my right arm and clip it up with a rubber octo holder on my chest. keeps it nice and tight and streamlined.

see pictures for example, hope it is clear enough IMG_0886_2.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

If the o-ring breaks, just replace it with a loop of tied 2mm bungee just like you suggested. In the meantime, use the o-ring with no concerns...

Even better is to put a cord lock on the bungee and tie stopper knots so you don't lose the cord lock. This makes it much easier to replace the 2nd especially with thick gloves on. Even with the bungee pulled tight the 2nd comes out with a sharp pull. The ones I make look identical to the bought ones of the style for a fraction of the price.

I use a regular snorkel keeper and it works well.

I just began using a reg necklace made from shock cord and whipped with gold cave line that I use for all my "tying needs". Works very well. Zip ties might be easier but the cave line kinda also looks cool. I'd post a pic but my one SD card won't work and I've misplaced the other one. And it does not float.

Surgical tubing and two zipties also work very well. That is all one shop uses on their rental BC's for octo holders. The other ones kept walking away.

+1 for using a snorkel keeper. It's the cheapest, most reliable method I've found for conventional AAS stowage.

My personal preference is for a necklace holder. 1 ziptie and 1 short length of bungee and hey presto!

Neither method costs more than $2.

For Standard Octos:
5/16" Bungee cord tied in a circle.
- Hold both loose ends together as if they were one strand and then tie a standard overhand knot.
- Lightly melt/harden the knot with a flame.
- Apply neoprene cement or glue to prevent the knot from being compromised.
- Loop the circle around a D-ring and then stick your octo's mouthpiece through, making sure the bungee lies behind the zip tie notch.

It's a lot easier to re-stow and deploy than a rubber or silicone snorkel keeper, and it's very secure.
The knot on your loop also provides an easy feel and grab even if you're wearing 5mm gloves. It's a lot easier to work with than a snorkel keeper.

I get to ask since I'm a new diver:blinking:: how long a bungee cord to you recommend? What brand of neoprene glue do you like and where should I look for it? Thanks for a solution to my problem, too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom